Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Affordable basic DSl service

I would like to upgrade my dialup service which I presently have with 1access.net to DSL. We had DSL through the local phone company in the past at 1MB/s for 35.00 per month and we were told that rate was the cheapest they could offer us. We have since learned that other providers can also offer usDSL over an existing phone line. So far 1ccess is the only provider that says that they can offer it for around 25.00 a month but for some reason they can't guarantee that it will work from my location. Their dialup service sucks and they don't seem to be very responsive to customer problems. Most messages left on their answering machine are never returned. Sometimes the dialup is totally unusable. Everyone else says that the only other provideris Comcast and I am not looking for that. I am having trouble and this is very frustrating trying to find companies that will do just the DSL on an existing phone line other than my local company who wants to rape me again and 1access who can't guarantee it will work. We are part of an independenttelephone company that services 5 towns in our area. Maybe that is the reason for this. We don't need anything too extravagant. With the 1M we had inthe past we were able to watch an occasional video or catch a recap of a TV show we might have missed. Does anyone know if there are in fact other providers that can come in and do this? I've heard that this could be found for as cheaply as 15.00 per month. Why does this have to be so damn difficult? If anyone can help me with this I'd sure appreciate it. Lenny

C

chuck

Jan 1, 1970
Been there, done that.
The problem is that while federal law requires the phone co. (owners
of the copper wire) to open up the wire to other vendors, they don't
require them to provide the 3rd party DSL vendor with any level of
quality. I had DirecTV DSL on a Southwestern Bell phone line, and when
AT&T bought SW Bell, the line quality dropped badly, even phone service
was bad. When the DSL wouldn't work, DirecTV said they couldn't make
AT&T fix the lines, in fact they couldn't even ASK!!! AT&T to see if they
could improve it. So, I had to move to a cable modem.

Jon

Same here. My SWBell line is underground and it filled with water
years ago. AT&T wouldn't replace it. We had to go with cable for
both internet and phone service. From your previous DSL speed, it
appears that you are a long distance from the exchange.

N

N_Cook

Jan 1, 1970
I would like to upgrade my dialup service which I presently have with 1access.net to DSL. We had DSL through the local phone company in the past at 1MB/s for 35.00 per month and we were told that rate was the cheapest they could offer us. We have since learned that other providers can also offer us DSL over an existing phone line. So far 1ccess is the only provider that says that they can offer it for around 25.00 a month but for some reason they can't guarantee that it will work from my location. Their dialup service sucks and they don't seem to be very responsive to customer problems. Most messages left on their answering machine are never returned. Sometimes the dialup is totally unusable. Everyone else says that the only other provider is Comcast and I am not looking for that. I am having trouble and this is very frustrating trying to find companies that will do just the DSL on an existing phone line other than my local company who wants to rape me again and 1access who can'
t guarantee it will work. We are part of an independent telephone company that services 5 towns in our area. Maybe that is the reason for this. We don't need anything too extravagant. With the 1M we had in the past we were able to watch an occasional video or catch a recap of a TV show we might have missed. Does anyone know if there are in fact other providers that can come in and do this? I've heard that this could be found for as cheaply as 15.00 per month. Why does this have to be so damn difficult? If anyone can help me with this I'd sure appreciate it. Lenny
Is mobile "phone" data-only mifi an option ?

The last time I I talked to a tech from the phone company, (I consider this a
real privilege when this happens), he told me we were 87 poles from the CO. That's 2.2 miles on CAT3. I don't know if that's an issue or not. Lenny

W

William Sommerwerck

Jan 1, 1970
Don't forget that the lines themselves vary in quality, and therefore in their
data-carrying capacity. If the lines are mediocre, there's little you or any
phone company can do about it.

Before I went to Comcast, I asked about DSL. The phone lines in my area use
some sort of digital distribution that just isn't compatible with DSL.