Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Aiwa AD-F810 Tape Deck

Numero Uno

Apr 28, 2015
Hi folks,
I have just resurrected the tape deck after an absence of 15 years. I was pleasantly surprised at what good condition it was in. I scrummaged around and managed to find a cassette to insert. The cassette was able to fast forward and rewind but would not play. The play/green light came on, made a brief noise and then stopped. The machine maybe 25 years old? I am not that techno to pull it apart. I assume it maybe a belt drive that might be the problem but as has just been suggested would not know how to resolve it, if it was the case.
Would appreciate any helpful thoughts.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yep, sonds like the drive belt.
It's up to you if you don't know anybody who'd help you out with this.
If you're willing, unplug the unit from power, find and remove the chassis housing screws, and open the unit up to look inside.
It's the only way you're going to know for sure if it has a belt that is bad or not.
Otherwise you've just got yourself a new door-stop.
Ready to live dangerously?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
If the casettee tray is something like this,

Casettee a.jpg

then you can leave the empty tray open (like above) and press the play button. If you see a small black rubber wheel (pinch roller) rotating in contact with a steel pin (capstan) then you know it's not the belt.

But its very likely, as mentioned in the earlier posts, it is the belt driving the capstan that has failed.