Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AKAI AC-3750L music centre potential blown fuses?

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023
Hi,
My Akai, AC-3750L music centre was working perfectly. Today, unfortunately I put on a 7” single and played it but it got stuck on the centre spindle when I tried to get it off. Not thinking of the consequences, I got hold of the rubber mat that sits on the platter and pulled it upwards hoping to pop the record off. The record flew off and the record player dropped back down on its springs into the music centre. I immediately heard a muffled buzzing sound coming out of the speakers at volume 5. I increased the volume gradually upwards (the muffled buzzing got louder) but at about volume 8, I heard a little tiny pop sound (it sounded more like a ‘pip’, but not loud at all)
Straight after the pip/pop all sound cuts out and there is no sound coming from the speakers at all. There is no sound even when I switch it from phono to FM, SW, MW, LW or ‘cassette’.

The unit still turns on fine and all the lights light up as they should. The platter still spins round and even the ‘fm stereo’ light lights up when it should.

I took the casing off to see if there were any wires that had popped out when the record player dropped back into place but I couldn’t see anything. I check the fuses and one of the 1.6 amp glass fuse has a white smear on the inside of it (this could just be how it was made though). I have ordered replacement fuses and I have bought enough so I can replace all of the fuses.
I will send a picture of the fuses and pictures of the inside so you can have a look to see if you can see anything as I am no expert.
I hope I can get this working as it is very special to me.

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023
Here are the photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9187.jpeg
    IMG_9187.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 5

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Do you have any way of checking the fuses?.
If not, take the end of a torch off and put the fuse inline, as if adding another battery. You may need a small piece of wire to hold onto the fuse end and back to the torch.
But cheap multimeter or fuse checkers are £5.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The unit still turns on fine and all the lights light up as they should.
At least the fuse(se) responsible for that part are obviously o.k.
The fuse in yor second image has a small ball still perfectly centered in the tube. Looks like this fuse is o.k., too. Otherwise the little ball would bend the wire towards the tube wall.
But I doubt that a fuse is the culprit here.

I suggest you check all the wiring for any loose parts. And look for any other visible damage. If you're lucky only some cable has come lose during your action.
Also have a look at the bottom of the circuit board, if possible, and inspect the solder joints. It is not uncommon in older equipment that some solder joints are bad (we call that cold solder joints). Simply re-soldering these joints with th ehelp of some flux (or some fresh solder with a flux core) can help.

If that is not the case, some deeper inspection of the circuit(s) and the components wil be necessary.

ZJS

Sep 2, 2023
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
The new fuse came today. I installed it in the ‘potentially blown fuses’ place and it solved the problem completely. The unit is fully working now.
Thank you