Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Akai Stereo Receiver AA-1175 (Problem - Won't turn on at all)

BryanB

Apr 11, 2020
Hello! Today an older friend gave me his vintage Akai AA-1175 receiver that he had in his basement since he moved. He told me that it worked like a charm the last time he turned it on (~15 years ago). He also said that he fell coming up his basement stairs with it but that he saved it from impact ( he was okay!). After cleaning considerable dust from the outer facade we decided to try our luck and plug it in, nothing happened. I took off the top wooden panel to find years of dust caked all over the internals, using a q-tip and canned air I cleaned as much as I could, still nothing. I can't find a manual online, anything I can do here? I read that these models have fuses but I dont want to open anything up without some advice first. I am not the most tech savvy but I am willing to try.

BryanB

Apr 11, 2020
I had already read that and decided to make this post as this unit is completely inert and theirs would at least turn on.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
hifiengine has the schematic/manual online. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/aa-1175.shtml

If the dial lights do not light, then either they are all bad or fuse F1-2 is blown. Also want to check F1-1. Of course, fuses usually do not blow for no reason, so the main problem is probably deeper.
Annotation 2020-04-11 171438.png

Do you get power at the 'switched' outlet? Just checking to see if the switch is bad.

BryanB

Apr 11, 2020
There is power on the outlet, plugged it into a surge protector after unplugging other working electronics. Figured it was the fuses, are they located underneath these 2 black cases?
a>

Sorry for the stupid question I just want to be sure.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Don't know, I just pulled the schematic, not the whole manual.

BryanB

Apr 11, 2020
Yes unfortunately the manual must be purchased. I'll probably just end up sending this to be serviced if my local place is still open during all of this. I don't want to destroy it.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
No, manuals on hifiengine are free. You do need to register, but they will not sell your email address or send any spam. I did pull the whole manual and have not found anything that shows where the fuses are. Most likely in the left rear corner by the power outlets and the power transformers.

Last edited:

BryanB

Apr 11, 2020
Ah thank you, I appreciate it, completely missed that when I checked the page earlier. I'll sniff around back there when I get the chance later today. Thank you for the guidance.