Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Amplifier circuit, need some help on high freq and low input voltage

kriddaliim

Jan 28, 2015
Hello,

I'm troubled with amplifier circuit. My purpose is to create a circuit for driving a coil in my "wireless power transmission" project. So, may I have your ideas or recommendation on amplifier circuit that be suitable with conditions below :
1. Be proper with Sine wave
2. Input voltage is about 1 Vp-p and 1-3 MHz of frequency
3. Need to have output voltage about 10 Vp-p on 10 ohm (with 400 mA at least)

Thank you in advance.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Wireless power is quite a complicated subject to get right. I know! You need to supply the details of your coils, size and shape, value of inductance and turns, wire used and series resistance. Also the distance you are hoping to be able to transfer this amount of power.
Adam

kriddaliim

Jan 28, 2015
Thank you for your suggestion, Adam.

For more information on my project, please find below :

A waveform generator (AD9850), it generates 1 Vp-p of sine wave. I design its frequency about 3.56 MHz. Its purpose is standing for "resonance" with receiver circuit. The waveform generator is connected with amplifier circuit (it is my big trouble). The amplifier, I chose "class E amplifier" (MOSFET, IRF510) and tried the experiment on last week. Its result was not good because a small signal that carry out to the transmitter coil.Capture.PNG

By the way, the properties of the transmitter and receiver coil will be shown below :

transmitter coil
conductor size = SWG24 (0.559 mm of diameter)
inductive = 37 uH (L-equivalent for matching in class E is about 33.9 uH)
Added capacitor = 100 pF (for matching between receiver coil)
Added resistor (for load) = 10 ohm
Using frequency = 1-4 MHz (for finding resonance)

receiver coil
conductor size = AWG40 (0.0799 mm of diameter)
inductive = 4 uH
Added capacitor = 850 pF (for matching between transmitter coil)
Added resistor (for load) = 1 ohm

However, everything looks OK except "amplifier circuit" because it amplifies the signal from waveform generator very very low !!! in the class E system. I am not sure which FET in the circuit is correct or not. On the other hand, if you have an experience or idea how to amplify the signal (up to 10 Vp-p with 10 ohm load), please help share and I am looking forward to discussing with you. ^^!

Thank you in advance.
POP

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi POP, before we go into looking at the coils which can become quite a task. You will not get very good results from a sine wave with this circuit. You need to use a square wave, I have found a square wave or PWM to be much better in terms of power transfer. This is because the square wave has a higher V/s than a sine wave, this is what is important in WPT.

A better circuit would be a push-pull amplifier and your coil set up as a series tuned circuit. This way energy is transferred all the time. You could look at NPC technology where you make a sine wave shape out of switching in square waves at different times. This is how some of the modern inverters work now.

Adam