Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Analog Volt Ammeter for Systron Donner power supply

bbg

Jan 7, 2010
I need the analog volt-ammeter for the front panel of a Systron Donner DL40-1A. I'd also like to find a knob for the front (v and a adj knob). It's old, and I haven't had any luck searching the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Brad Gray

bbg

Jan 7, 2010
I just received a manual for this machine, and it lists the manufacturer of the meters as "83611" and the Mfr Part Number as KM66.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Different KM-66 panel instruments are still available, but the original scale will be harder to come by. Is it damaged or missing? Different knobs should also be available. The question is if you want it looking just like the original?

bbg

Jan 7, 2010
On mine, the instrument is VOLTS AMPS and goes 0-40V and up to 1A. I'd prefer it look (or be) original, but as long as it is equal or better quality, I'll take what I can get. As old as it is, I thought there might be carcasses laying around somewhere. I think I know the terminology of what to ask for now- KM66 as a size, scale as decribed above. Is this correct. Thanks for the help.
-Brad

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
KM is a series originally made by Kuoritsu (I think). -66 is the width (in mm) of the face.
They can be had with a full-scale sensitivity of 50, 100, 200, 500uA, 1 & 10mA. Plus lots more.
The faceplate on the PSU instrument is custom-made and says nothing about the instrument in itself, and I can't tell what kind of sensitivity it is supposed to have.
If you have the original then it can be investigated for sensitivity, & the faceplate can be transferred to the new.
Search for KM-66 panel &/or instrument to learn more about it.
If you have the circuit diagram for the PSU then the sensitivity of the instrument can be deduced from that.
Knobs are made for different potentiometer axle diameters, of which 4 & 6mm & 1/4" are common.

bbg

Jan 7, 2010
Thank you very much for your help. Here is the circuit diagram from the manual. Does this tell the sensitivity? I appreciate your patience, as I'm a student, and probably asking really basic questions. The faceplate is fine, the plastic is cracked, so I could transfer the faceplate. I'll read up on the KM-66 to gain some insights..
-Brad

>>KM is a series originally made by Kuoritsu (I think). -66 is the width (in mm) of the face.
They can be had with a full-scale sensitivity of 50, 100, 200, 500uA, 1 & 10mA. Plus lots more. The faceplate on the PSU instrument is custom-made and says nothing about the instrument in itself, and I can't tell what kind of sensitivity it is supposed to have.
If you have the original then it can be investigated for sensitivity, & the faceplate can be transferred to the new. Search for KM-66 panel &/or instrument to learn more about it.
If you have the circuit diagram for the PSU then the sensitivity of the instrument can be deduced from that.<<

Attachments

• sc019e6436.bmp
    11 KB · Views: 825

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, R141 is 39.95k which means it's a 1mA instrument (40V/40k).
But if only the front glass is cracked then you might be lucky and find that as a spare part.
They were available as spares in "the old days".

under_payed

Jan 15, 2010
I bought the DL40-1 on eBay last month but both meters don't read the same as my DMM values which I calibrated at the electronics lab at my school. Is the manual on CD or can you let me know what it says about calibrating the meters? Thanks.

under_payed

Jan 15, 2010
bbg.. just a comment about the gauge replacement possibility.. I built my own variable power supply as a project two years ago in class with dual meter gauges for voltage and current. The new digital gauges needed a power supply of their own to power the instrument but needed to be isolated from the p/s circuitry to work correctly. My instructor explained this in great detail and I overcame the problem by installing a DC to DC 1:1 transformer to isolate the instrument power supply circuitry from the rest of the p/s. My point is that if you use a non OEM gauge you might need to alter the circuitry slightly.

doramider7

Sep 6, 2010
I bought the DL40-1 on eBay last month but both meters don't read the same as my DMM values which I calibrated at the electronics lab at my school. Is the manual on CD or can you let me know what it says about calibrating the meters? Thanks.

bbg.. just a comment about the gauge replacement possibility.. I built my own variable power supply as a project two years ago in class with dual meter gauges for voltage and current. The new digital gauges needed a power supply of their own to power the instrument but needed to be isolated from the p/s circuitry to work correctly. My instructor explained this in great detail and I overcame the problem by installing a DC to DC 1:1 transformer to isolate the instrument power supply circuitry from the rest of the p/s. My point is that if you use a non OEM gauge you might need to alter the circuitry slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
I just received a manual for this machine, and it lists the manufacturer of the meters as "83611" and the Mfr Part Number as KM66.

"83611" was Kew Manufacturing Co. in New York City. Their CAGE number was abandoned - and is now obsolete. It looks like their product line was picked up by Kyoritsu - who is now manufacturing meters in Thailand using the Kew name "Kew (Thailand) Ltd".

leenco12

Sep 15, 2010
But if only the front glass is cracked then you might be lucky and find that as a spare part.

doramide7

Sep 25, 2010

cheezemanrich

May 18, 2023
Hi bbg,
Do you still have a copy of the manual for this power supply.
I have the same one I am repairing and cannot find the schematic.
Richard