Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ancient Adeptness of Hidden Powerworks

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Boy am I confused now !!!

My furnace broke down, actually the blower motor gave up, the shaft is about 10k ground out on the fan end but what the heck, it's a real old 220v coleman, what do you expect right? So I go online and feel real lucky finding a direct replacement for it at this real savy OEM parts seller, with an upgrade and cap for the specific model I have ( says "no returns" in great big letters right out front of the site.. something only a tech with microscope eye could miss) So I dump the dime. The shipping was 50. Anyway, I get th motor, and its wired for a two wire system, not OEM and it is not a 220v, but a 115v. "dang" says I, " I really wanted to get this done before May", but no such luck. So I decide to check this out(roughshawd as I am I never leave a stone unturned) And the thermostats on this 220v heater are 24v, the motor hooks up to the thermostat switches with the high low speed wires and to the fuse block with the orange wire(called the comm wire which I assume means common.) Now I have to ask right.... "how does a 24v thermostat survive in a 220v circuit?" In any case, It seems to me that if a 24v thermostat can survive in there then so should a 115v motor right..( I know better, but there is still that humor and comic relief I knew you guys would love!!!!) I wonder how many people have put it in there and it sstill workds today??? now there is a dilemna.... "no refund-no return" the first successful sign ever hung up in the very first electronics shops!

Oh great one? can I use this fancy in my 220v by using some kind of special voltage reducing circuits?(answer is yes, but I don't know where to start!)

crutschow

May 7, 2021
can I use this fancy in my 220v by using some kind of special voltage reducing circuits?
If you don't have 115V available than the only thing I can think of is to use a 230V to 115V transformer of sufficient rating to power the motor.
Likely won't be cheap. :eek:
Edit: You might able to get by with one of the 220V to 115V travel converters (autotransformers).
how does a 24v thermostat survive in a 220v circuit?
Likely with a small 220V to 24V transformer.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
"how does a 24v thermostat survive in a 220v circuit?
Change the thermostat - they are only a few $'s these days.

This kinda thing : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353791798505?epid=1172509269&hash=item525fa26ce9:g:LOsAAOSwU4dhp0oM

Motor - isn't there a 115V supply anywhere in the room or are you 'all 220V' ? If you are just 220V then as above, get a 220-115 transformer (commonly known as 'site' transformers). They don't cost any extra to run (well, a few cents/week and only due to 'losses' in the core) but are commonly available - even used - and not expensive. It must be rated AT LEAST as much as the motor (in VA terms - the plate on the motor will state its consumption).

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The main reason I needed to post this is as follows...
The blower cycles with the firebox elements, so when the elements turn on, the fan is blowing to cool them down/heat the house. The motor connects to one of the thermostats. I would think the low temp thermostat would probably turn it on/off. But I don't know for sure yet. If I change the volts in the motor comm line, will it effect the switching of the thermostats?
Will the switching still work if I change the power source value? Will the

The motor is switched on with a special digital temperature switch I put in to control the furnace better.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I am considering a circuit like this.. but I'm doing something wrong.

Attachments

• furnacecircuit.jpg
    furnacecircuit.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 7

crutschow

May 7, 2021
The thermostat controls a relay to switch the motor power, so adding a transformer to the motor should have no effect on the rest of the circuit.
You just wire the transformer/motor combination in place of the previous motor.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I am considering a circuit like this.. but I'm doing something wrong.
I forgot to tell you, the new motor is a 2 wire motor an doesn't have the comm wire to it... Dumb me!!! ha ha ha So I wonder where this motor is getting power????!!!!!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I took it to a motor shop, they fixed me. The new one is alot faster than the worn out one, but is staying below 100 degrees...