Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Animal research project - Load cell switch when reaching a variable threshold

tede

Mar 23, 2023
Hello everyone,
I'm conducting a research project on animal behavior, and looking for some guidance on how to design the following system:
I have a S-beam load cell (ref) that allows us to measure how much pressure an animal applies to a gate (the load cell is linked to the gate via a rope). I'm looking for something that would compare the force applied to a threshold that can be set manually, and 'disengage' the rope when this threshold is reached so the gate can swing open.
It seems something with a comparator and actuator would be appropriate, but I have no experience in electrical engineering so apologies if this is very basic stuff.
Thanks,
Thomas

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It seems something with a comparator
Exactly.

Have you Googled such a circuit? They are commonly used in over/under temperature sensing circuits and such like. The comparator output can drive a relay or solenoid.

tede

Mar 23, 2023
Thank you for the guidance! The load cell is also connected to a data logger (ref), any tips on how to connect all the components?

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
A good ref book on using IAs, commonly used for conditioning load cells :

Here a compendium design resources you could pull from.

Here is a SOC that can handle load cells with its differential input hi res DelSig. Could
also implement USBUART (also onchip) to move the data to PC and a logging program.

Here is whats onchip, multiple copies in many instances :

1679824948334.png

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
Here is a similar type of project for Robot foot pressure sensing:
You may need to modify it for animals.