Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Another Reel to Reel Deck Issue

freeHippie85

Apr 10, 2024
I have not checked the voltages. What am I doing specifically? Putting the probes where exactly? I'm a electronic newb ;) . The heads could be a culprit. In which case I'm screwed because I don't have the money to repair/replace them.
Hey everyone,

It's been ten years since this chat talked about a topic that now interests me a lot. Two days ago the capititor on the capstan motor on my 80-8 broke. It didn't burst completely, but the contents ruined the whole machine. Since I have almost the same problems, apart from the chattering, I'd be interested to know how it turned out for you?

Best Wishes

Thomas

Dupe

Apr 11, 2024
Hey everyone,

It's been ten years since this chat talked about a topic that now interests me a lot. Two days ago the capititor on the capstan motor on my 80-8 broke. It didn't burst completely, but the contents ruined the whole machine. Since I have almost the same problems, apart from the chattering, I'd be interested to know how it turned out for you?

Best Wishes

Thomas
Hi Thomas, It’s been many years ago, I’ve had your post sent to my email. So the capacitor has blown out, can you identify any markings from the fragments? Many of the old machines used an AC induction motor, and in order to get the motor to rotate, a capacitor was used. You need to find out the capacitors specifications. Can you post the make and model of your product.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
the contents ruined the whole machine.
Before you pay a lot of money for professional help:
  • Have you cleaned the residues from the leacking capacitor? Use a good measure of alcohol, e.g. isopropanol and a soft toothbrush for cleaning. Let dry thoroughly.
  • After a long time in storage, the electrolytic capacitors are good candidates for replacement. All of them, if possible. At least the big ones in the power supply section. They thend to lose electrolyte and thus capacity.
  • Check all contacts (pluf and receptacle) for corrosion, clean any that look suspicious. Replace if necessary.
  • Check all solder joints by visual inspection. Re-solder bad ones (dry solder joints or "kalte Lötstellen" in German).
  • Check any trimmers (potentiometers). These tend to develop a high resistance between wiper and contact surface over time. Before moving the wiper(s), note the exact position so you can return the wiper to that position, then wiggle the wiper a bit to improve the contact - if necessary that is (see also next item in this list).
  • Do you have a schematic, Even better one where the relevant voltages are annotated? If so, measure the voltages as indicated and compare to your schematic.