Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Antenna for tplink td-w8961nd

sarkhan

Oct 11, 2014
Hello. I've a tplink td-w8961nd modem.But its wifi signal strength is not satisfactory. Now, I wanna change its antennas with larger antennas (high dbi).For that reason which antennas must I buy that they work with the tplink properly? what specifications must antennas have that to extend wifi signal at long distance ?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
What kind of 'long-distance' range are you going for?
Many router's and access points have a setting to adjust transmit power. Have you tried that first?

Specs apparently state the connector for the antenna is reverse sma (or RP-SMA) so look for an antenna that has that.

Remember though that an antenna is not always the deciding factor in range!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Your entire home could be an RF noisy environment no bigger than a 400 sq ft studio, or a 2400 sq ft house.
Please keep in mind that an antenna will not guarantee you any range, nor will it guarantee you any range increase.

Your range will depend on the transmit power, and receiving sensitivity of the router, as well as RF noise in the environment.
It will also depend on the transmit power and sensitivity of the device you are wanting to use.

Assuming a perfect environment, the 12dBi antenna is capable of doubling your range. Please note I said 'capable', but this entirely depends on many other factors as well.
Where in the home is your router now? (Don't give a basic answer like 'the spare-room' details like the relative location in the home, as well as distance from where you want access is important!)

sarkhan

Oct 11, 2014
Now I've put it to the one corner of my room. The room has been built from stone and locates at the one end of my home.Also there are some walls which create obstruction for wifi signal, among rooms.The length of my home is roughly 20-25 m from one end to another.I can not change the place of my modem. I must increase the signal strength. Just I wanna connect my phone to the wifi along approximately along 30 m radius from the place of the modem. For that purpose, what antenna could you recommend me from http://www.aliexpress.com/.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Well, as I have stated above, the antenna will not guarantee anything.
What you can do is determine the current maximum range of your modem. If you get a decent signal halfway through the house, then you can try the 12dBi antenna, if it's less than half the 16dBi.... but these will only 'help' to increase the range. Radio is a two way communication method, so it's not just the modem that determines maximum distance.

Have you increased the transmission power of the router by signing into the setup page? It may have an option to adjust it from low-med-high, or it may allow you to set the mW transmission power. Try this first.

sarkhan

Oct 11, 2014
I have choosen high level. it is not big price to buy an antenna.But I do not know exactly what antennas are suitable for this router. I do not have any experience about this.Therefore I could not decide to choose a correct antenna. Just please, could you find correct one for that router from http://www.aliexpress.com/ ?

You can see more detail information about my modem from the official site of tplink.
http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TD-W8961ND

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I've given you all the details I am currently comfortable with providing.
I do not know the current range, so I cannot remotely recommend something to get the full range you desire.
I have mentioned earlier that you need an Antenna with a
http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TD-W8961ND said:
Antenna Type -Omni directional, Detachable, Reverse SMA
'reverse SMA' connector.
You can choose an omnidirectional antenna, or you can get better results with a directional antenna (Which will need to be aimed).
If you absolutely want someone to tell you what to buy, get the highest gain antenna you can comfortable afford and remember that it may only produce marginal results.