Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Any French speakers here?

Susan Young

Apr 16, 2017
Hi, I am new to this forum, and actually looking for some help with a translation. I am translating some technical documentation from French to English for Bodet. They keep referring to 'Carte option 3', it seems to be some sort of input device as far as I can tell. It would literally translate to 'Option 3 card', but I can't seem to find anything in English which matches that.
Is an option 3 card a thing? If not, any guesses to what it might refer?
If context would help, here is one of the captions that I am translating "Vers entrée externe ou carte option 3 entrées de l’horloge mère"

Thanks very much for your help :)

Susan Young

Apr 16, 2017
A Lockdown School Alert System connecting with a Sigma master clock. Connecting via radio transceivers.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
My french is rusty, too, to say the least. Nevertheless, in the contect given I think this is about an "external input or 1 option card with 3 inputs from a master clock".
This is supported by this document, where a
carte d’extension «3 entrées»
is explicitly mentioned.

Bodet has some German documentation online. If you tell us which product the documentation is for I could try to look up the German translation and from there I could make a stab at an English version. I know, it's not the most direct way...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hey, it sounds like something made in the EU. Don't try have to provide documentation in 26 languages or something?

I'm only partially joking. I know that at a place I worked at for several years that a medical device we made had to have it's manual translated at great expense into a bajillion languages before we could sell it via an agent in the EU.

So quick, while the poms are still a part, enforce your rights! :)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
This might be of some help......

• Le menu and la formule refer to the fixed-price menu, which includes two or more courses (with limited choices for each) and is usually the cheapest (and in some restaurants, the only) way to eat. The choices may be written on the ardoise (see below) or on a special page in the carte. (Outside of France, this is often called the "prix fixe menu"; the original term is French, but the French just call it the menu.)
  • The sheet of paper or booklet that the waiter hands you (what English speakers call the "menu") is la carte - anything you order from it is à la carte

Susan Young

Apr 16, 2017
My french is rusty, too, to say the least. Nevertheless, in the contect given I think this is about an "external input or 1 option card with 3 inputs from a master clock".
This is supported by this document, where a is explicitly mentioned.

Bodet has some German documentation online. If you tell us which product the documentation is for I could try to look up the German translation and from there I could make a stab at an English version. I know, it's not the most direct way...

I did find reference to an extension card and wondered if it was the same thing. If that seems likely, then I will go with that.
Thanks very much for your help :)

Susan Young

Apr 16, 2017
Hey, it sounds like something made in the EU. Don't try have to provide documentation in 26 languages or something?

I'm only partially joking. I know that at a place I worked at for several years that a medical device we made had to have it's manual translated at great expense into a bajillion languages before we could sell it via an agent in the EU.

So quick, while the poms are still a part, enforce your rights! :)

That is exactly what I am doing, creating the documentation in English so that it can be sold!! ;-)