Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Any through-hole microcontrollers which are programmable via USB?

j4cobgarby

Sep 18, 2018
I've recently came across the Atmega32u4 which is a very nice microcontroller. The thing I like most about it is the fact that it can be programmed directly over a USB connection, by wiring it up in a certain way.

However I often work with breadboards and I'd like a microcontroller similar to this but which I can program over USB, but which I can use on a breadboard.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There are some that are just SMT but all USB programmable via interface, Pickit etc.
M..

j4cobgarby

Sep 18, 2018
There are some that are just SMT but all USB programmable via interface, Pickit etc.
M..
Oh I see what you mean. PICs look useful, but I'm looking for one which I don't need a seperate board to program.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Why not just use an SMD-to-DIP adapter board and solder whatever device you want onto a carrier that allows you to plug into a breadboard?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
but I'm looking for one which I don't need a seperate board to program.

Why..?
It's not as though it is difficult to connect or expensive to buy.
Most Arduino have the chip on-board or if you go to ProMini, then as above.
PicKit actually already has an add on zif socket that covers a mass of chip sizes for programming.
I don't see where the "uhhh...soooo hard" comes in.

j4cobgarby

Sep 18, 2018
Why..?
It's not as though it is difficult to connect or expensive to buy.
Most Arduino have the chip on-board or if you go to ProMini, then as above.
PicKit actually already has an add on zif socket that covers a mass of chip sizes for programming.
I don't see where the "uhhh...soooo hard" comes in.
the "uhhh.soooo hard"? I haven't said it's hard to do, I'm just looking for a more convenient way to do it. Besides, i'd rather spend no money than spend some money.

Frankchie

Nov 14, 2017
I have been using an esp8266 based module called a nodemcu. It's Arduino compatible and uses the Arduino IDE. It has a micro usb connector that supplies power to the module, loads the pgms and supports diagnostic data. The exp8266 has built-in wifi. The nodemcu pinouts are breadboard compatible. It's a nice package about 1.25"x 2.25". It even has OTA, Over The Air program loading, where you can upload programs over wifi.