Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Any way to check D1889 & B1340 transistors, apart from measuring resistance?

Bross

Nov 17, 2015
Hi! I've got a problem in my turntable and a user suggested that these NPN/PNP transistors (D1889 and B1340) are broken. First thing I thought was "I buy the 6 ones and I'll try with them", but I see that they're not that easy to find them in my country or through Internet (and when I do, they are expensive).

I've checked the resistance with a multimeter and I have similar results between each of the three pairs in all of them, so I can't see any short or something. But this doesn't mean that they must be ok, right? What do you recommend? Or maybe there are other more common models that fit in my turntable...

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What are the data for the transistors, they are probably not special and some equivalents could be found.
Many meters have a little socket with which to connect transistors to measure their gain. If they have any gain at all, they are possibly OK.

Bross

Nov 17, 2015
Thanks for your answers! I didn't know about that web that returns equivalents and the gain measuring (my Caltek CM3900 has it, yes; but I think they are not suitable for my darlingtons). I checked the pdf with the D1889 diagram on that web and found a diode inside. One of my D1889 let pass current in both ways, yeah! And found it on alliexpress.com at a reasonable price, hell yeah! Next step was easier than I thought...

Cheers!

Deluminati

Feb 15, 2019
If you have a Stanton str8 or st150, the 7824 voltage regulators might be the problem, i had a problem before and seemed like should be the transistors but was in fact the positive 24 reg