Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anybody know what this circuit part is and what it does?

Jakebeck15

Jun 24, 2010
I have an iPod touch, and I dropped it and the screen cracked. I thought i'd repair it myself by buying a new screen and replacing it. When opening the front of the iPod, a little gold piece shot out and I cant find it. I was curious it was a circuit piece, so I compared my iPod circuit board with images on the internet of opened iPods, and it is indeed a circuit piece.

after.jpg
#

Anybody know what it is? And what would happen if I put it back together without it and how to replace it?

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
A close up picture will be helpful to verify my guess. My guess is that the gold piece belonged to the "Home" button. When I took apart a relatives iPhone the only part I noticed that matches your description was a gold contact for that button. Your home button will not work without it.

florinanghel

Jun 14, 2010
Yeah, from what I see, LTX71CM is right. It's a contact for the Home button. Just look for it, you'll find it.

P.S. Use a magnet to find it faster, it will stick to it. That's what I do when I lose small metal parts.

Jakebeck15

Jun 24, 2010
A close up picture will be helpful to verify my guess. My guess is that the gold piece belonged to the "Home" button. When I took apart a relatives iPhone the only part I noticed that matches your description was a gold contact for that button. Your home button will not work without it.

Okay, thank you for replying =) do you know where I can get a new one, and how to put it back on? It is just a silver plate with a small circle in the middle and there is obvious way of fixing a new one on. Ty