Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anyone know where I can buy one of thes buttons?

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking to find somewhere that sells buttons like the ones in these pictures:
s1631-850-1.jpg

I don't want it with wire attached (if you buy them as whole units you get ripped off!)

I want to add the wire and plug connector myself. I've not had much luck finding this sort of hand held button anywhere online. Even something similar that I could get in the UK might work. I've tried drilling down through the menu systems of big online electronics parts shops but not found anything.

So, anyone able to point me in the direction of buttons like this could buy?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
How close does it have to match you photo? What switch configuration? Can you add a switch to a commercial enclosure?
Maybe you can find something here: Google: handheld enclosures for electronics membrane switches

Ken

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
It's a nurse call switch. Similar products are made by many companies. It's very unlikely that you can buy the exact type as a subassembly due to the manufacturer's fear of litigation. You could try searching for pendant switches but most will be large industrial units and the smaller ones are mostly end actuated.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Devices like that often are a standard switch in a totally custom package. In your case there might be a small pc board inside with the cable soldered directly to it and a small "tact" switch. Often the button you press is an integral part of the enclosure with a live hinge, and hovers above the internal switch but is not directly attached to it. Another option is a membrane switch that is completely waterproof. Easy to disinfect and no little gaps for blood and germs to hide in.

A medical call button? The cost is not a rip off. Much (most?) of it covers the amortized cost of safety certification and reliability testing, and liability insurance. One failure that leads to a patient death equals huge law suits. You will lose your car, your home, your family - everything.

ak

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Ken, end actuated would be acceptable as long as it was hand held size. It would need to be Normally open, the google search you suggested has yielded some potentially useful enclosure for a DIY button.

AK, you're right, inside is just a standard (what I would call) bump switch. Membrane switches look interesting, I'll look into it. I'm not thinking of it for a hospital application, but I can see your point about the cost coming from various 'behind the scenes' costs rather than just parts and assembly.