Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anyway to repair a LCD display

wjbell

Jul 27, 2023
I have an LCD display on my inverter that has gotten dim over the last few months. Is there any trick to bringing back an LCD display? It is the kind with a black background, the numbers and symbols light up green and different colors and the face of the screen is soft like if you run your finger over it the numbers will light up. In other words, it feels like thin plastic covering the screen rather than hard plexiglass.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Without any detail such as a photo, I'll take a guess at it being an oem device and as such would require an original replacement.

wjbell

Jul 27, 2023
Without any detail such as a photo, I'll take a guess at it being an oem device and as such would require an original replacement.
I guess what I'm asking are LCDs were repairable in any way? Do they tend to dim if the connections to them are getting corroded or that type of thing? I'm imagining a band cable like the connection to a computer hard drive. If the connections in the multiple wire plug gets dirty can it cause the LCD to dim?

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_053424.jpg
    IMG_20240223_053424.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240223_053557.jpg
    IMG_20240223_053557.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 11

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
The backlight, typically LED these days (unless OLED or electroluminescent), is
affected by current which can be affected by connectors....especially if thru
zebra strips. Maybe some one else can comment here, are zebra strips also
used to handle LED backlight levels of current ? I see silver based ones can
handle 300 mA.

So yes to connectivity iussues are possible.

Regards, Dana.

wjbell

Jul 27, 2023
The backlight, typically LED these days (unless OLED or electroluminescent), is
affected by current which can be affected by connectors....especially if thru
zebra strips. Maybe some one else can comment here, are zebra strips also
used to handle LED backlight levels of current ? I see silver based ones can
handle 300 mA.

So yes to connectivity iussues are possible.

Regards, Dana.
Thank you. I'll check it out.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Doesn't look 'bad' to me. Most LCDs have a viewing angle at which they're best observed and, for some, you can adjust the display contrast to compensate for looking at obscure angles. Not all displays are fitted with such an adjustment though.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can easily stop it working completely if you don't know what you're doing.

wjbell

Jul 27, 2023
Doesn't look 'bad' to me. Most LCDs have a viewing angle at which they're best observed and, for some, you can adjust the display contrast to compensate for looking at obscure angles. Not all displays are fitted with such an adjustment though.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can easily stop it working completely if you don't know what you're doing.
The pictures are in the dark. It looks fine in the dark with any kind of light outside the screen is totally blank and useless. It's not viewing angle, it's just something wrong with the LCD.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Appears as a backlight flaw, not as a LCD problem. Measure voltage, current to backlight LEDs and source.