Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Apple 30 Pin connector

Murray Wyatt

Aug 4, 2015
I am trying to splice in +5vdc and ground for a 30 pin apple ipod cable for my car. The cable in the car doesn't charge the ipod when connected. I have a 5vdc tranformer that I want to splice into the cable but need to find the correct wires to splice. I know that pin 23 is the +5vdc and pin 16 is the USB gnd, I need to find the colors of the wires to splice.
Thanks

Murray Wyatt

Aug 4, 2015
So nobody knows the wire code of the apple 30 pin dock??????????????????????????????????????????????????

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
obviously not sorry

and I cant help either :(

have you actually tried going to an apple service centre ?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Sorry Murray,
I didn't see your thread until today.
Have you actually cut the lead yet?
You wont find 30 wires in there!! Why wont your cable charge? It should do.. Did it ever?
Also, my advice is to get a small screwdriver and tap the seems on the 30 pin connecter to remove the casing.
Then, the two wires far left and far right are the charging wires. Colours will vary depending if it's 1st, 2nd gen etc.
I will edit this post in ten mins with a photo of my after market 30 pin connecter opened up.

EDIT: No point in opening the case moulding! Apple genuine connecters have no external seem.
I just opened three genuine (broken) connecters.
The colours you want are RED and BLACK. Kind of makes sense really, BUT Apple doesn't normally.
Double check them with a meter if you can first. But no reason not to believe 3 different genuine connecters.

Martin

Martin

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014

Murray Wyatt

Aug 4, 2015
I actually thought the red and black, I know its that for the lightning connector. I did actually splice to those two, but in the cable for the 30 pin, it is not red black. the result was lost audio in the right channel, and some other function was mixed up.
The cable is a Mitsubishi cable connected to the back of the audio system in a Pajero. It does not support charging, so the cable may not even have the wires there connected to the connector.
I am beginning to believe it is too difficult to even worry about it.
I could cut the lead in half and use multimeter to check continuity of all wires to those two pins and then re-solder all the wires back together, messy as considering my soldering expertise!

Thanks all