Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AppleCarplay DIY

Dekio

Dec 30, 2022
Hi, this is my first time on this forum and I hope I post this in the right place!

Lately an idea struck my mind. I have a 1998 Alfa Romeo 156 with a facelift center dash vent that has a screen. Originally it was used for displaying stuff like opened doors or errors but since I have the non facelift model, there is no way to connect those. So I thought to myself, what if I make a good use of that screen by adding some modern functions to it?
(pic of the screen in question and yes, that's snow)

I firstly want to implement a simple menu that has some functions like reverse camera, music play via an sd card and apple carplay.
The solution I have in my mind is to use a phone small enough that would fit there and with a very light custom android rom (that currently I am not capable to develop) that would be connected to the radio via a jack cable (I have an adapter that I can hook in the back of the radio). About the carplay function, I thought of using one of those wireless adapters that would work via an app.

I already know its not gonna be that usable but, I want something like the 1 din porsche communication system that they supply for their older model cars. Its just, something cool for me.

Now my issue : Are there any android smartphones that would fit there (and that are somewhat capable of everything I mentioned) ? (like the size of an iph 4) that would do the trick?

Cheers!

Attachments

• a01702d2-f815-416e-bade-b55b2289af5b.jpg
    a01702d2-f815-416e-bade-b55b2289af5b.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 3

Dekio

Dec 30, 2022
or if you guys have any suggestions on how to do this, I'll appreciate!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Seems a bit pointless as you won't be able to reach across to use the touch screen capability necessary to implement any functions..... could you even get a finger in there? Programming to achieve any good use would be a b****h.

Why not just replace the existing audio unit with a modern display-type version?

If you really want that 'hole' to show some functionality then just make a small panel with LED backlights (an LED behind a 'negative' screen print of symbols/text) that correspond to various existing vehicle functions (door ajar light etc as you previously mentioned). It should be fairly straightforward to tap into the signal lines and extract a voltage to power another LED.

Dekio

Dec 30, 2022
Seems a bit pointless as you won't be able to reach across to use the touch screen capability necessary to implement any functions..... could you even get a finger in there? Programming to achieve any good use would be a b****h.

Why not just replace the existing audio unit with a modern display-type version?

If you really want that 'hole' to show some functionality then just make a small panel with LED backlights (an LED behind a 'negative' screen print of symbols/text) that correspond to various existing vehicle functions (door ajar light etc as you previously mentioned). It should be fairly straightforward to tap into the signal lines and extract a voltage to power another LED.
Hi, thanks for the reply! I would like a modern radio, problem is, it would look out of place + if its one of those head up display, it would most likely cover my gauges

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Here's a 1DIN unit (from Walmart).

Sure, it won't look like it's meant to be there but, imho, neither does the one you already have fitted!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-12-30 23-21-37.png
    Screenshot from 2022-12-30 23-21-37.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 1