Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arduino Uno R3 or Arduino Mega 2560?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
I'm still building my mind controlled robot car & now can't decide whether to use Arduino Uno R3 or Arduino Mega 2560 or whether I should (or could) use both!! It's 4wheel drive, so I've bought a motor shield, but I also want to be able to change it from mind controlled to infra red. I also would like to install a lcd screen. Ive got a BFD-1000 line following sensor on it & am putting a ping sensor on. Could someone advise me the best route please or am I just over complicating things & trying to run before I walk? Thanks

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I will take a shot at saying go with the Mega. You will have many more pins to work with therefore giving you much more expansion room in the future. Shields for the UNO will also fit on the Mega.

However, your setup may need two controllers. I think you can interface two Arduinos in order to exchange information, supply sensor feedback, etc. But I am pretty new to this stuff too. This is just a bit of speculation.

I now have a total of $.98

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
I will take a shot at saying go with the Mega. You will have many more pins to work with therefore giving you much more expansion room in the future. Shields for the UNO will also fit on the Mega.

However, your setup may need two controllers. I think you can interface two Arduinos in order to exchange information, supply sensor feedback, etc. But I am pretty new to this stuff too. This is just a bit of speculation.

I now have a total of $.98
I am actually glad that you said about using 2 controllers because I've had the idea of using the uno AND the mega & making this one KICK ASS robot that does everything apart from make you breakfast! Lol!

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I am actually glad that you said about using 2 controllers because I've had the idea of using the uno AND the mega & making this one KICK ASS robot that does everything apart from make you breakfast! Lol!

Keep us informed and if you feel like it, start a project log here.

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
Spike124....I would suggest using MEGA2560s unless there is some good reason not to.....from my perspective there isn't enough cost difference to separate them and the 2560 has massive resources compared to the UNO....some might argue that the 2560 has a few "quirks" that can cause problems for noobees....but from my perspective there are plenty of "quirks" to the AVR core regardless, and you might as well sort them all out at once.....If the $6 price difference or the slightly larger board are problematic in your final build and you don't need the extra resources then you can always "downsize" the actual embedded boards...but for the prototyping phase I would go with the big boy...:)

Fish

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
I only have one thing to say about this. When you build a clone(a duplicate of something), which they encourage at Arduino, you really need to concider physics. That being said, most of the clones were specially designed to perform certain jobs, they can do all the basics and more, but it would be hard to guarantee they are 100% compatible with all the sketches that were tested using the original design. Frankly, in electronics the focus is usually forward, and so the newer is usually the better. When I started electronics, Arduino was just a chip technology! It was the first system unit to use both software coding: and hardware configuration: to control devices. From the laymans point of view A robot with brains! "any reasonably advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clark

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@roughshawd : Before replying to a thread, please look at the date of the last entry. This one was last answered in 2017 - 5 years ago. There is usually no use in reviving threads that old.
This one is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.