Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Are Deoxit contact cleaners worth the money?

David B

Dec 29, 2017
Firstly I apologise in advance for posting a similar thread about contact cleaners but what I really wanted to know Is Deoxit for example Deoxit D5 worth the money compared with other cheaper contact cleaners? Deoxit is quite expensive here in the UK (perhaps its more reasonably priced in the US and Canada?) So is Deoxit worth shelling out for or are cheaper cleaners just as effective?
Cheers.

daddy60

Nov 8, 2018
Firstly I apologise in advance for posting a similar thread about contact cleaners but what I really wanted to know Is Deoxit for example Deoxit D5 worth the money compared with other cheaper contact cleaners? Deoxit is quite expensive here in the UK (perhaps its more reasonably priced in the US and Canada?) So is Deoxit worth shelling out for or are cheaper cleaners just as effective?
Cheers.
Try taking parts that are scratchy sounding and soak them in alcohol first. then you need to clean it, then replace the lubricant. You could use something cheaper than d5 but you get what you pay for. other cleaners will work. just do your homework and read the comments. But d5 followed up by s5 it the best mate. What is your price? have tried parts express in usa and checked shipping costs? YOU DO NOT NEED TO DROWN IT. USE IT WISELY AND THUS YOU WILL HAVE IT LAST LONGER. DO THE 3 PART CLEANING ON POTS OR SWITCHES AND THEY WILL SOUND AMAZING AND LAST A LONG TIME BEFORE NEEDING TO BE CLEANED.

David B

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks, I did not know about Deoxit S5. Its just a pity that Deoxit is so expensive.
Cheers.

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
Deoxit D5 contact cleaner followed by Deoxit S5 shield is the new standard!

My D5 ran out after several years and I was shocked by the new price, but I knew how good it was so I bought another tin. To save money I use smaller squirts, wait a bit, then add a bit of S5. Those other oil-based squirts (WD etc) are not good for contacts. I clean intercom switches and open leaf contacts every day.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Butter doesn't work as a replacement. I trusted deox for 3 years, then they took out all the pcb's and acids, and I couldn't get it to work anymore.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Yup - I use Servisol on contacts inside vintage radio sets (band switching) and they clean them up great. Not found another product that does it as good as Servisol does.

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
Yes. Deoxit contact cleaners are worth it and they cost just $20.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Hi.
I put battery corrosion preventer felt discs inside my test equipment (scopes, spectrum, oscillator...) near rotary and pushbuttons switches to inhibit corrosion. Unsure if works with potentiometers. Anyone knows ?
1689781975213.png