Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Are Ebay 365nm UV LED‘s good for fluorescence?

sauroman1

Apr 3, 2012
I‘m trying to find lamp for ultraviolet fluorescence investigation and painting which would have clean UV spectrum and light at least 3 meter distance, 36W UV tube I tried doesn‘t cut it. So far it seems like blacklight tubes and UV LED‘s are best types of UV light source, metal halide and other lamps are not efficient. Specifically for fluorescence induction 365nm wavelenght UV LED‘s are best. Fluorescent tubes are also tuned to have peak spectrum of 365nm and are as effective as LED they just are very bulky, there is risk to break tube and leak mercury. LED‘s on other hand needs very little space, can be easily equiped with lens or reflectors, as well special filters. Downside of them is still price, it‘s possible to find somewhat cheaper LED UV light on Ebay but there are reports that‘s sellers put less effective 395nm or 410nm LED‘s instead of expensive 365nm so I need advice on detecting scam since they seller is obliged to refund for wrong product of course if person can prove that. As well I have vague idea of how much watts from LED‘s should be enough to light room. After doing some research it‘s seems that I can get most watts at lowest price from 3W LED‘s, so I could buy 10 or 20 COB's and use 48V 0,7A driver right from manufacturer which could run up to 13 of these COB‘s at recommended voltage.

I‘m also curious what LED‘s are used in nail gel curing UV lamps?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Given your very specific requirement I'd recommend you simply used a reputable dealer (Farnell, RS Components, Rapid etc) to obtain the parts you need.

The difficulty, time and expense of purchase, testing and returning (if necessary) of potentially suspect parts isn't worth it and may even cost more in the long run.

We have a saying - buy cheap, buy twice.

sauroman1

Apr 3, 2012
I see there is even one dealer in my city. Unfortunatelly they don't enough powerful components and prices are crazy. But probably it's better to buy little bit more expensive parts from reliable seller.
Now I'm also considering buying ready UV LED lamp such as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Outdoor...hash=item41c3309049:m:mbeDnBby-QpHhI0okjfdRHg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-20-30-50...hash=item28384a269a:m:mFGFIoUawtJQ5Q0BH2rNVMA
But even photos I see picture of white LED with yellow phosphorus not UV chip what is suspicious. I don't know any more suppliers of ready lamps. I see some club UV lights sold in UK but they are really overpriced.