Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Are There 3 Volt MultiMeters?

TEH45

Mar 16, 2023
Am in the market for a New Multimeter. Would like a multimeter that takes 2 1.5 Volt AA batteries instead of a 9 Volt one. Did a Google search using Key Words: 3 Volt MultiMeters Prices but got Nothing. Hope someone either has a 3 Volt MultiMeter or knows if they exist! Thanks

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The Digi-Tool 420 A runs on 3 AAA batteries:

The Klein-tools multimeters use 2 AAA batteries.
See the attached datasheet.

Bertus

Attachments

• DigitalMultimeter_SelectionGuide_2022.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 8

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
You may find an analogue meter that runs on 3 volts. I still use an analogue meter when working on cars while they are running.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Just interested in why you don't want a 9v one.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You'll get limited capability with a 3V meter but if all you want to measure is VI and R then go for it. My meter (9V) also does capacitance, semiconductors (inc LEDs), frequency etc.

TEH45

Mar 16, 2023
Sorry for the late response. Have been offline. Would like to thank everyone for your comments! My main use would be for DC (both single battery and packs). Am a real beginner so do not know which type (analogue or digital and various meter battery V is most accurate). Appreciate any recommendations and links to website testing this! Thanks again for your help!!!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Your being a beginner, pretty much any $10 multimeter would suffice, digital would be easier for you to read.
No reason for 3v supply meter in your request info.

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
An analog meter only needs the battery for the resistance/ohms setting. So if your concern is buying batteries and you don’t care about measuring resistance, you can get an analog meter. Also, in analog meters the battery lasts a very long time (watch for leakage though).

My first multimeter was an analog one from Radio Shack (I was very young when I got it!) IIRC it uses a AA battery plus a 9V for resistance modes… the AA for lower ranges and the 9V for the high resistance range. I don’t think I ever replaced those batteries during the 20+ years I had/used that meter.

Digital meters obviously need the batteries to function at all. Many use a 9V battery but there are some that use AA/AAA cells.

TEH45

Mar 16, 2023
Bluejets and kpatz,
Thanks for the comments! From all the comments it seems anything is OK for my needs. In that case am wondering if a used one will do? Like getting one from a yard/tag sale? Would have to bring along a new battery to check that meter shows the correct Voltage. Any comments concerning what Kills any of these maters? I can think of leaking alkaline batteries. Thanks again everyone for all your help!!!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
In that case am wondering if a used one will do?

You'd be surprised at the kind of sophisticated test meter you can get for 'yard sale' prices these days - new! A digital, auto-range device might be best for a beginner but 'anything' will serve as long as it works and you can prove its accuracy.

Analog meters suffer mechanical issues (don't take physical abuse very well) and overloads can easily kill them so, definitely take a battery to prove the needle moves and shows, at least, a good approximation of what you expect on the dial.

Incorrect use is often the reason they are found in yard sales - with inevitable faults therein.

Just checking on eBay and there are devices from as little as 10 bucks (delivered) and 'decent' versions for under 30. If you are setting out in the world of electrics/electronics then you might as well get something half decent and spend as much as you can on one - the old adage 'buy cheap, buy twice' is ever so applicable and I say that from years of experience!!

Personally I'd recommend a Uni-T model or even a clamp-type meter (which read DC/AC, volts, amps and ohms but are often relatively cheap as most people shun them.... here's a random 'thing' on eBay that's new and does as much as you might need for now....

TEH45

Mar 16, 2023
Everyone thanks again for all your comments!

kellys_eye Thanks for mentioning clamp meters! Never even considered them! Any YouTube tutorials for them that you can recommend for a beginner?

TEH45

Mar 16, 2023
bertus, Thanks for the link!

everyone: was able to locate 2 multimeters that both need some repair. First needs a new power button and other needs cables. Any ideas/suggestions?