Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Are these solder pads okay?

600rob

May 14, 2018
im trying to repair the board for a display unit on my dirt bike.

two of the diodes suffered some corrosion around the legs which caused the display to fail.

Ive sourced what i think should be suitable replacements for soldering back on to the board.
Before i do that i wanted to check the condition of the solder pads.

From the photos can you guys tell if the pads shown in the pic ( where one of the diodes has been removed) are in usable condition?

Ive given them a clean up with electrical contact cleaner but they dont look great. Im not sure if they are badly corroded or just need more cleaning!

is there any way i can check them with a multimeter before starting any soldering?

Im not an expert on this so thought i see if i might need to do anything else before attempting to solder the new items

DSCN1616.jpg

DSCN1611.jpg

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
They look OK to me, what i usually do to the foil that appears to conduct significant current is to re-enforce it with Solder Wick style of copper braid.
The one diode D4 appears to have a cold solder joint.!
M.

600rob

May 14, 2018
They look OK to me, what i usually do to the foil that appears to conduct significant current is to re-enforce it with Solder Wick style of copper braid.
M.
I have some braided solder wick but
not sure how exactly you reinforce the pad, could you explain that in more detail?

The one diode D4 appears to have a cold solder joint.!
M.

Yes that is to be removed and corrected!

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Mainly aimed at a large copper pad or areas such as the bottom left corner, before I saw the pads you were referring to.
Some times pads such as these are intended for higher current capacity.
M.

600rob

May 14, 2018
Mainly aimed at a large copper pad or areas such as the bottom left corner, before I saw the pads you were referring to.
Some times pads such as these are intended for higher current capacity.
M.
Ahh i see.

Yes my original post was referring to the two small pads for the missing diode an D1.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Generally if the pad does not lift, it should be no problem.
M.