Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Assembling Laptops?

Rainbrah

Feb 17, 2017
Hello all! I am somewhat new to building electronics. I started a few years ago with simple robots, but now im looking into a broader spectrum. I would like a get a new laptop, but don't want to break the bank, so i was looking into building one or buying one disassembled. Does anyone have any information that may be helpful? Thank you!!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello all! I am somewhat new to building electronics. I started a few years ago with simple robots, but now im looking into a broader spectrum. I would like a get a new laptop, but don't want to break the bank, so i was looking into building one or buying one disassembled. Does anyone have any information that may be helpful? Thank you!!

the only disassembled ones would be faulty ones

but don't want to break the bank,

so what is your budget and what spec's do you expect to have ?

so i was looking into building one

not likely to happen

Does anyone have any information that may be helpful? Thank you!!

buy a new one ... there's all sorts of prices depending on what spec's you want
ya know, ya even get a warranty on a new one !!

Rayregula

Dec 20, 2016
I've never heard of someone building a laptop before just desktop towers.
If that's not a typo then it wont be worth the headache and hassle. You would have to find compatible parts including a battery and power supply and wire it all up. And then you would need something to hold them safely and securely.
I would advise buying one. Take davenn's advise you can find a pretty decent one without spending a lot of money.

Rainbrah

Feb 17, 2017
Yeah i was thinking desktop, sorry for the silly question. Anyway im tring to stay under 500 preferably, but id like to be able to run games like wow, skyrim etc. I was looking at the asus rogs, but i wanted some opinions from experienced buyers.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Yeah i was thinking desktop,

that's better ..... I have always built up my own desktops

sorry for the silly question.

nop prob's, we all err occasionally :)

Anyway im tring to stay under 500 preferably

I don't know the 2 games you mentioned ... am not a gaming person, unlike my son
generally tho, any of these modern games are very memory and graphics intensive and you cant really skimp on
buying higher end graphics cards and LOTS of memory on a decent mobo

not sure what prices are like in the USA .... Not sure that $500 would be enough ... you probably could spend most of that
on a top end graphics card ;)

I usually buy all the bits from a local computer shop rather than online .... NOT these big stores that just sell built up machines
the store people in those places know very little about the finer details of the systems

I go to the smaller puter shops where the owner and couple of staff are building systems from scratch every day for customers
they know the various cards, mobo's etc much better and I like to be able to have easy discussions on what really suits my needs
cant do that with an online store

Dave