Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ATMEL vs PIC vs ARM microcontroller

abhimanyu143

Nov 24, 2014
Hello Friends
I need your help , tell me From your own personal experience, which microcontroller is better ATMEL, PIC or ARM on the basis of their features

What is disadvantage of ATMEL that full fill by PIC or ARM controller
What is disadvantage of PIC that fulfill ATMEL and ARM controller

All microcontrollers are great but which function of micro controller make him most popular ?

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
abhimanyu143...Welcome to EP!

My personal preference is the AVR family from Atmel, but I don't think they are really any "better" than PICs, though there are likely some things each are best suited for......my very limited experience with PICs came a long, long time ago...I have never played with the ARM core processors....It is important to note that Atmel produces several families of micro-controllers including 8051 and ARM Cores as well as the AVR family and that both the PIC family of micro-controllers, the AVR Family of micro-controllers and (if memory serves me) the 8051 cores are 8-Bit processors while the traditional ARM core is a 32 bit processor (with a new family of 64 bit processors having been added fairly recently) AND that while the AVR/PIC/8051 processors are strictly Harvard Architecture the ARM core can be actualized in either Harvard Architecture or Princeton Architecture. The AVR and PIC families are proprietary IP cores developed exclusively for production while the ARM core is maintained strictly as a license-to-use IP core.....

So choosing between families frequently comes down to the task @ hand with the edge going to familiarity.....for a simple task like data logging various sensor data choosing between the AVR and PIC families would likely be a toss-up and selection would likely come down to familiarity....if you were designing a bleeding edge video application then an ARM based IP core would clearly be the way to go.....As far as "ease of use" both the AVR and PIC families are well suited to entry-level projects and have the capability to do some very impressive tasks; the ARM core is clearly more powerful; however, with that power comes a great deal of complexity that all but precludes it from being a viable selection for entry-level projects....in most cases unless you are prepared to develop or implement and maintain an OS for the ARM cores then it would be difficult to justify the time required to complete a project....

Cheers!

Fish

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hopefully this topic does not spur a microcontroller debate.
Windows, Mac, or Linux anyone?
Fish gave you some great info, but it is ultimately up to the intended use and your current skill-set.
I would much rather use PIC because I am more familiar with it... even if an AVR would perform better, it is not worth the extra investment for me to get setup to program one.
If I was doing lots of work, I would learn more types and switch accordingly.
My bias is based on my skillset, and I will not push anyone to one or the other.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
I go by availabilty, price and cost of programmer and programming software.