Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Attempting to repair a wifi amp with a suspected power supply issue

kneegrow

Apr 16, 2011
]The thing just stopped working after months of faithful operation. lost connection and noticed the power LED was off. I unplugged it immediately and disassembled it. upon plugging the board back in the power inductor and a nearby Cap almost immediately got HOT I suspected the inductor was bad and replaced it with a free sample from the component manufacturer. same issue. any ideas? some of the components I can't identify as I cannot find datasheets for them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• wifiamp.jpg
    wifiamp.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
well the inductor wouldnt be getting hot without a reason
chances are something further down the line is drawing excess current and that extra current through the inductor coil is causing it to heat up

your pics are a bit blurry to be able to do any serious identification of parts or circuit tracks and without a circuit diag will be difficult to diagnose

BUT for a start...
1) SHARP well lit pics of the lower left area of the board, showing the area of the capacitor and inductor and some of the com[ponments to the right of the inductor
2) show us where the power supply is connected and is this supply ( presumably from a plugpack?) DC or AC

Dave