Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio . . . Delay? Buffer?

Rupertrealbear

Mar 31, 2021
Hello there

I have noticed the streaming of video on Netflix to lag behind the audio.

I don't know if there is a name for such an audio treatment but I wondered if there was a ready made device or computer app where you could feed in audio and have it rattle about in chip memory and then return, a short while later - that while, of course, being adjustable up to several seconds.

I was hoping that Internet browsers might develop such a facility (or, even, that Netflix might put such an adjustment on their site). In the meantime, I will just have to watch ancient dubbed kung fu movies where it is all part of the charm

Hopefully

Rupertrealbear

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I have noticed the streaming of video on Netflix to lag behind the audio.
What you notice is very likely not a property of the Netflix stream but a property of your playback setup. TVs sometimes have a feature to delay the video to allow for audio processing time in an external receiver e.g. for 5.1 or higher ambient sound. By delaying the pictures the sound is then back in sync after the processing by the external receiver. If this delay doesn't match your reciver's delay or if the delay is activated but no external receiver used, sound may be delayed versus the pictures. Look up whether you have such a setting in your TV and experiment with different settings.

If you watch on a PC only, you may try the settings described here.

Rupertrealbear

Mar 31, 2021
What you notice is very likely not a property of the Netflix stream but a property of your playback setup. TVs sometimes have a feature to delay the video to allow for audio processing time in an external receiver e.g. for 5.1 or higher ambient sound. By delaying the pictures the sound is then back in sync after the processing by the external receiver. If this delay doesn't match your reciver's delay or if the delay is activated but no external receiver used, sound may be delayed versus the pictures. Look up whether you have such a setting in your TV and experiment with different settings.

Hello Harald,

I didn't find such a feature in my windows 10 via the speaker icon. This video lag that has only recently started happening with Netflix (especially on the more popular shows). I guess this is just an annoyance that can't be fixed.

Thanks in any case

Ruoertrealbear

crutschow

May 7, 2021
TVs sometimes have a feature to delay the video to allow for audio processing time in an external receiver
I believe the video processing time is slower than the audio processing, so it's the audio that requires a delay
My audio receiver has an audio delay that I set to about 30ms to synchronize my sound and video.
I used a video and sound of striking a golf ball to set the delay.
I didn't find such a feature in my windows 10 via the speaker icon.
You might try a search for audio delay for Windows 10.
There may be an app available for that.