Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio files on a chip

seza

Nov 6, 2015
Hi all,
As ever - this is great forum, a big thank you that make it possible,
My project is for an educational device made up of a board with pointing arrow
that moves along and when it reaches an object it plays an audio file, then next object the same and so on ... up to about 10 objects.
am hoping for a very low powered, low cost device, with that in mind:

The audio/sound files can be Mp3, Wav or Raw format of about 2Mb each,
how can one store these files on a chip in an "indexed" format so they can be played at the right moment? would an EPROM chip work?
I prefer to stay away from Arduino/Raspi setup if I can help it, too complex and expensive.

thanks

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
SD card easy but you will need some kind of microcontroller, unavoidable for most applications.
Arduino probably the most covered by internet examples so next to nothing to work out, just wire up and load a working and proven program.
Easier than falling off a log.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Have look at the Tonuino kit (original website is here, German!).
The idea is to have an Arduino play sound from an SD card when an RFID tag is placed onto an RFID reader. By putting the reader on the arrow and the RFID tags next to the objects you can play sound when the arrow points to an object.

seza

Nov 6, 2015
Thank you all guys for taking time to reply,
particularly Mr Kapp - that looks like a a nice kit,
will contact the supplier and see,
keep up the good work.

seza

Nov 6, 2015
I checked the info about the Tonuino kit, the main device is useful but the RFID gear is
bit too much for I need.
All I need for my setup is a simple Inductive Proximity Switch (at very short range in order of 2-3mm),
could a coil on one side and a magnetized arrow on the other side work?

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
If you're willing to record your own audio file, you might want to check ISD chips. Some have inputs you simply ground for individual sounds to playback and some are programmable for use with a microcontroller. At work we use them both.

seza

Nov 6, 2015
Thanks Peter,
I never knew about ISD chips, it would appear they don't have the capacity to hold multiple Mb of data?

seza

Nov 6, 2015
Thanks Bertus,
that looks like it might do the job but may be bit more than I need.