Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio Output from IC

roadkillguy

Apr 2, 2011
So my friend and I want to use an Arduino (Atmega 128 I think) to run a YM2612 FM mixing chip. So far, planning has come along nicely, but I'm worried about the audio out itself.

My main question is: Can I wire audio out(L/R) directly to a pair of headphones, or do I need something else in between?

Also, as a sidenote, the YM2612 is the sound chip in a Sega Genesis. I don't believe they manufacture it anymore, and it's very hard to find. Where might I start looking for such an old IC?

Wiki Page for YM2612: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2612

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My main question is: Can I wire audio out(L/R) directly to a pair of headphones, or do I need something else in between?

Sorry, I couldn't find a good answer to this. The documentation I saw was in Japanese, a language I don't read.

My guess is that you'd need an amplifier.

Also, as a sidenote, the YM2612 is the sound chip in a Sega Genesis. I don't believe they manufacture it anymore, and it's very hard to find. Where might I start looking for such an old IC?

1) Find an old Sega Genesis.
2) Remove chip.

roadkillguy

Apr 2, 2011
What would be better; op-amp or transistor? Is it wrong to simply use a single transistor like this? I'd like to fit a TRS jack onto it somehow. What would be the best voltage to amplify it to?

So yeah Sega Genesis... I want to bread board this thing before I solder it. How well do you think an unsoldered IC would behave with a breadboard? I've never done that before.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Which is better? It's hard to say. See if you can find some accurate hardware specs first. The alternative is wiring it up on a breadboard and experimenting (or if you have the equipment, measuting the output levels and calculating).

An unsoldered IC will work fine as long as you don't damage it when you remove it.

It's a lot easier to fit an IC than it is to remove it. Have you ever removed an IC with the intent of re-using it? If not you need some practice before you try it for real.

Solder suckers and/or solder wick and good technique are required.

roadkillguy

Apr 2, 2011
Ok, I now have the board. Getting the IC out shouldn't be a big deal.

I think an op-amp will suffice, but what's the nominal voltage on a standard TRS line? I need to know the appropriate amplification ratio.

roadkillguy

Apr 2, 2011
I successfully desoldered the IC unscathed. I think amplifying to 1.5 volts should suffice, based on what I've read.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a 7.67Mhz clock. The one built into the sega is 53.6931Mhz. This means they're dividing by 7, which isn't a square of two... how does one convert a clock signal like that? I would make my own (with a 555 or something) but 555's cant go that fast D: Is there any faster alternative to a 555? Would using an 8Mhz clock be an issue?

Thanks again.