Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio spontaneously develops volume flutter at about 10 Hz

Bradscopegems

Mar 29, 2022
I listen to Radio 4 a lot. My radio indicates that I use 12B 225.648MHz. Sometimes, I get an oscillation of volume at a constant frequency which I estimate to be around 10 Hz, making speech almost incomprehensible though quite audible. This can be cured by turning the radio off, after which I get a period of silence, a short burst of noise and the signal comes back OK. I have tired to cure this by using different portable radio sets and different radio headphone units, but nothing has worked. I am wondering if I am getting periodic pickup of two signals with a very slight frequency difference, so I am hearing audio frequency beats. Does anyone know what is happening?
Bradscopegems

Bradscopegems

Mar 29, 2022
Would such a dodgy capacitor be likely to occur in two different radio sets or two different radio/headphone units? The
fact that I had the same problem with two sets of totally different equipment suggested to me that it was something about my environment rather than inside the equipment...

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Are you using a power pack/charger?

I've had BlueTooth audio issues from leaving the device on permanent charge.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
Radio wave reflections can cause motorboating.
If indoors and not using an external antenna, a ceiling fan can cause this havoc. I have noticed this in portable FM receivers.
An external antenna pickup can also be interfered with by moving bulk of metal - trains, ships, aeroplanes ( :eek:), ...