Maker Pro

Auto Morse Code Responder

How much would this cost?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Watuckey

May 1, 2011
I need to make a very short range (<1/4 mile) auto respond device. It needs to, once it 'hears' the right sequence of Morse code, to respond with a string of numbers. Now I know this may sound a little weird, but I'm a Geocacher and am working on a really cool cache idea.

My Dad was a Radioman in the Navy back in the day (55 - 75) and I found an old radio box at a pawn shop. I thought it would be really cool to have a code that you have to send (once you find the box) and then the auto responder send out the real cache coordinates. Kinda gives them the idea of what it took to listen and receive Morse code.

I had thought about using those kid's walkie-talkie for the tx... how ever I'd like to use a real key. But I'm stumped on the other part. Is there any one who would like to help?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know what they have these days. But you used to be able to find kids walkie-talkies
that HAD the morse key on them. May not be a market anymore, cause everybody
uses cell phones or whatever now.
There are a lot of short-range walkie-talkies out there, (or used to be, maybe not so many
nowadays because of cell phones. People used to use them, to keep track of each
other in a mall).
Guess I can't help much, because everybody's using high-tech now, but that's what
I used to see a lot of. Maybe you can still find them, but my guess is, they'd be used
for kid stuff now).
Good luck.

Watuckey

May 1, 2011
Auto Responder

Hello and thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of that, but my trouble lies in the auto responder.

Basically, it needs to work like so:

You key a certain string... lets say [B]-.-. .- -.-. .[/B], the receiver would recognize that string and send out a code such as ---.. -----

Two things: it would be nice if the auto responder could recognize the exact string and give a little lee-way for the novice and then reply back with the proper message.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
it can be done with a bit of microprocessing maybe one PIC processor to decode the CW and another one to generate the response.
I do ahve a PIC project that has beed set up as a beacon ie.... when it gets a pulse it sends a short CW message that I have progranned into it.

Do some google searching on CW decoding with PIC processor and see what you come up with.

Dave