Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Auto Reset Function

Old Salt

Apr 6, 2017
Hello all,
I want to add an auto reset function to our digital water tank gauge. This will be done by fitting a sensor to the breather hose. I need to copy the function of the reset button on the display. This requires two presses of the button, first to turn the display on and the second to reset the amount. The second push needs to be held on for 5 seconds. Basically all I need is a N/O water sensor but will need some way of breaking the closed circuit for around .5 of a second once water is detected, This would then be the same as pressing the button twice. Power going to the sensor is 2.95 v dc.
The problem is not the sensor it is the break in the circuit that I need to know how to do.
Please see attached drawing for a better explanation.

Attachments

• Water Tank. Break drawing.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 52

bob monsen

Jan 18, 2010
So, you have a 2.95V sensor output, and want to use that to close a switch, wait 0.5s, open the switch for 0.5s, then close the switch for 5 seconds. Your drawing says you want to keep the switch closed until the sensor is no longer indicating there is water present.

Is that right?

Are you familiar with the usage of relays? Microcontrollers? Timer chips like C555? There are lots of ways to do something like this, but you won't be able to get it working unless you are familiar with the technology.

Old Salt

Apr 6, 2017
Yes I am familiar with relays but did not know about One Shot Timer Relays that I am just Googling now.
I do know about Micro controllers but not programming, This may still be the way to go.
No I was not aware of C555 timer Chips, I have only ever built one PCB.

bob monsen

Jan 18, 2010
I would definitely go with an arduino powering a small relay. Simple, quick to learn, and lots of examples out there on the net.