Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Auto shut off circuit?

mikec96

Mar 5, 2012
Hello, this is probably not the best way to start off my first post but here goes. I am new to the forum and to be quite honest will probably not be on here much after getting some info. I am not too much into electronics but am looking to possibly have something made for my other hobby (RC cars). I am looking into making something that will auto shutoff power when it hits a pre-determined "Low" voltage. The idea will be for discharging electric RC car batteries to a more optimal level prior to charging. Most of the more expensive chargers on the market have this function built in, however if you only have one charger and are trying to recharge multiple batteries it speeds things up if you can discharge a battery to around 3.0-3.5V while another battery is charging. Or if you are like me and have an inexpensive charger your only other option is to put a battery on a discharger and monitor it with a multi-meter until it gets down to the desired voltage then disconnect it. Supposedly there is a device like it on the market already but I cannot find any info on it.

So the circuit idea would be something that could be connected in line with a discharge bar that would allow the battery to discharge until the voltage gets down to 3.0V - 3.5V and then shut off power keeping the battery from going any lower. If it would be possible to incorporate some way of adjusting the shut off point without having to reprogram the device that would be nice (say with adjustable rotary switches one for the 1.0 voltage point and one for the 0.1 voltage point). The other concern for the circuit would be amperage, 3-4amp would probably be the range needed for a quick discharge so that much would be ideal.

Anyway let me know what you think on this. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Mike.