Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic chicken door

Redmeat

Aug 13, 2020
I built an automatic chicken door using mhcozy 2 channel wifi switch and an actuator that is control on a timer to open and close using google home app..everything works fine but I would like to add a garage door safety eye sensor to prevent any dog tragedies.. Does anyone know how of if that is possible? Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
More details about what you want to do? Your post is a bit sparse on information.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Sounds like your project could use a pulse-coded IR transmitter (such as used in TV remotes) one side of the door opening and a matching IR receiver the other side to make a broken-beam detector. The detector would control a relay or electronic switch to cut off the actuator supply for some defined time. The devil would be in the detail.

Redmeat

Aug 13, 2020
More details about what you want to do? Your post is a bit sparse on information.
Garage doors have a sensor on each side of the door. Infrared? If the beam is broken the motor will reverse to avoid anyone getting crushed. I would like to somehow wire garage door sensors on my automatic chicken coop door so if the beam is broken the door stops coming down. I want to avoid the door crushing a dog or chicken. I am not sure how the sensors even work or how to add it to my switch for it to work. Not sure if this is what you are looking...the switch i am using is a 2 channel wifi switch i linked above.. I dont know if I can somehow wire it to the switch or wire it to another relay and intall it after the switch and before the actuator? Should I send pictures of what I have? Thanks for your help

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Typical garage door beams have two different parts of a beam (usually IR) on each side of the door: One unit is the IR transmitter and the other is the IR sensor-cum-switch. The switch is the two contact points of a NO (Normally Open) relay. As long as the receiver "sees" the IR beam from the transmitter, it keeps the relay activated its (the relay's) contacts remain closed. When something interrupts the IR beam (or if power to the transmitter or receiver fail), then the contacts go open.

As long as the contacts are open, circuitry in the garage door opener keep the door from closing. The protocol for stopping or reversing the action of the door is in the garage door opener control PCB, not in the IR beam receiver, if that helps understand how that works. The beam is just a transmitter that sends a focused IR beam and the receiver is just an IR receiver that closes a relay when it sees the beam and controls a relay. You can say it (its relay) gives the door opener PCB "permission" to close the door, but doesn't actually initiate opening or closing itself. When something breaks the beam (or power to either unit fails, or if the beam gets misaligned), "permission" is denied. Whether that causes your control PCB to stop the door closing or reverse the action and completely re-open the door depends on how you program whatever PCB you're working with.

Redmeat

Aug 13, 2020
Thanks for your help. Could I use a 12 volt relay and install it after my 2 channel switch before my actuator and attach the sensor to that? I only need it to stop the door not reverse or anything fancy..even if it stays half closed until the next command given by the app controlling the switch would be fine. Thanks again.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I was going to link you to my video where I use an MHCOZY 4ch Smart Switch with RF Capabilities as a controller, a TPDT relay and a counter and uses a pressure switch, to trigger the door to go back up and give the chicken a chance to either get outta the way or go inside. Then use a SONOFF DW2 Wi-Fi Wireless Door Window Sensor combined with a SONOFF B05-BL-A19 Wi-Fi Smart RGB Bulb to let you know if the door is down or not.

But then I read this

"I only need it to stop the door not reverse or anything fancy..even if it stays half closed until the next command given by the app controlling the switch would be fine."

Was even going to give you a diagram too.

Terminal wRelay Blade Mini wCounter wIndicator Light wDoor Sensor wAlarm wLarge Limit.png

Either way this post is like two years old and you probably already have what you need. I'll just leave this here for anyone else who wants to do this and use.

What did you do in the end? Update? Pix?

BTW I hope you appreciate my dry humor.

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Thanks for your help. Could I use a 12 volt relay and install it after my 2 channel switch before my actuator and attach the sensor to that? I only need it to stop the door not reverse or anything fancy..even if it stays half closed until the next command given by the app controlling the switch would be fine. Thanks again.
Did you have any updates? We just finished building our coop and want to use the MHCozy with a liner actuator to automate the door. I was thinking of getting Photoelectric proximity switch as the safety to stop the door if something crosses the path, but stuck on the wiring part. Any updated schematics or photos would be very appreciated.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Did you have any updates? We just finished building our coop and want to use the MHCozy with a liner actuator to automate the door. I was thinking of getting Photoelectric proximity switch as the safety to stop the door if something crosses the path, but stuck on the wiring part. Any updated schematics or photos would be very appreciated.
If all you want it to do is STOP at the point of resistance, make a pressure switch and run the power to the motor (linear actuator) through one pole of a double pole double through relay. The other pole will be used to latch the relay. Once the power is removed the door will stay in place. Will make a diagram if you like..

Redmeat

Aug 13, 2020
I did figure it out but it has been a while. I tried to draw it out.... hopefully it helps. Those actuators are strong be careful.. I ended up raising the actuator away from the door and attaching a chain between the actuator and door. so if the sensor fails it is just the weight of the door that would be applied to the chicken.. can a raccoon figure it out? Maybe but i didnt want to risk the sensor failing and getting a chicken or kid....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426_151333_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_151333_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230426_151312_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_151312_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 7
  • chicken door wire (1).jpg
    chicken door wire (1).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230426_143313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_143313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 7

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
If all you want it to do is STOP at the point of resistance, make a pressure switch and run the power to the motor (linear actuator) through one pole of a double pole double through relay. The other pole will be used to latch the relay. Once the power is removed the door will stay in place. Will make a diagram if you like..
That would be great, to be honest I wouldn't mind if I could make it reverse and then stayed open. I saw the video you had with the counter where it reversed and tried to close again 3 times before tripping the light and alarm. I don't need it to retry the close though. Since I'm connecting the MHCozy through my Hubitat if it fails to close I can get a notification to my phone or even have it trigger a speaker in the house that say the door did not close. Then I can attempt to close it from the Hubitat dashboard if needed. Either way I'd take any diagram you'd be willing to share. Thanks

I forgot to mention I won't be using anything to measure resistance, I was planning on using a proximity sensor.

Attachments

• 61nBFxkDEiL._SL1500_.jpg
    61nBFxkDEiL._SL1500_.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
I did figure it out but it has been a while. I tried to draw it out.... hopefully it helps. Those actuators are strong be careful.. I ended up raising the actuator away from the door and attaching a chain between the actuator and door. so if the sensor fails it is just the weight of the door that would be applied to the chicken.. can a raccoon figure it out? Maybe but i didnt want to risk the sensor failing and getting a chicken or kid....
Thank you for this. Sometimes I can figure these things out but this time I was a lil stumped as I was forgetting to about relay. Now I'm just waiting to see if Mouthpear can help with the possibility reversing if the sensor trips rather than a just stop. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Typical garage door beams have two different parts of a beam (usually IR) on each side of the door: One unit is the IR transmitter and the other is the IR sensor-cum-switch. The switch is the two contact points of a NO (Normally Open) relay. As long as the receiver "sees" the IR beam from the transmitter, it keeps the relay activated its (the relay's) contacts remain closed. When something interrupts the IR beam (or if power to the transmitter or receiver fail), then the contacts go open.

As long as the contacts are open, circuitry in the garage door opener keep the door from closing. The protocol for stopping or reversing the action of the door is in the garage door opener control PCB, not in the IR beam receiver, if that helps understand how that works. The beam is just a transmitter that sends a focused IR beam and the receiver is just an IR receiver that closes a relay when it sees the beam and controls a relay. You can say it (its relay) gives the door opener PCB "permission" to close the door, but doesn't actually initiate opening or closing itself. When something breaks the beam (or power to either unit fails, or if the beam gets misaligned), "permission" is denied. Whether that causes your control PCB to stop the door closing or reverse the action and completely re-open the door depends on how you program whatever PCB you're working with.
I am not trying to be mean here but you got how the vast majority of garage doors and sensors work, WRONG. if you would like me to explain contact me PM. It will have to be a lengthy explanation.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
BTW I hope you appreciate my dry humor
Hello there welcome to maker pro :p
People with a dry sense of humor often tend to not draw much attention to how funny they are being.
You might end up offending a lot of people who assume that you’re just trying to act silly.
Silly is a real scientific term that I just made up.
Post number 15 is a excellent option.