Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic chicken door

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Thank you for this. Sometimes I can figure these things out but this time I was a lil stumped as I was forgetting to about relay. Now I'm just waiting to see if Mouthpear can help with the possibility reversing if the sensor trips rather than a just stop. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Yes that is very easily possible. I should have at least replied that I am working on some diagrams for you, with the different options.

The easiest option is to use a triple pole double throw relay. I will post link soon.

You can very easily make a pressure switch. All it takes is two metallic strips to make a connection.

If you rather use a defused laser just let me know which one and I will include it in the diagram.

This is a link to my Google drive where I posted pictures how I make pressure switches.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
That would be great, to be honest I wouldn't mind if I could make it reverse and then stayed open. I saw the video you had with the counter where it reversed and tried to close again 3 times before tripping the light and alarm. I don't need it to retry the close though. Since I'm connecting the MHCozy through my Hubitat if it fails to close I can get a notification to my phone or even have it trigger a speaker in the house that say the door did not close. Then I can attempt to close it from the Hubitat dashboard if needed. Either way I'd take any diagram you'd be willing to share. Thanks

I forgot to mention I won't be using anything to measure resistance, I was planning on using a proximity sensor.
Which MHCOZY are you planning to use.?

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Yes that is very easily possible. I should have at least replied that I am working on some diagrams for you, with the different options.

The easiest option is to use a triple pole double throw relay. I will post link soon.

You can very easily make a pressure switch. All it takes is two metallic strips to make a connection.

If you rather use a defused laser just let me know which one and I will include it in the diagram.

This is a link to my Google drive where I posted pictures how I make pressure switches.
Thanks so much for all your help, BTW There was no link, I'm not sure if the forum filtered it out or not. I was thinking the beam but if it's easy enough to make a pressure switch I may gibe that thought. Would it be possible to get wiring for both?

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Thanks so much for all your help, BTW There was no link, I'm not sure if the forum filtered it out or not. I was thinking the beam but if it's easy enough to make a pressure switch I may gibe that thought. Would it be possible to get wiring for both?
My apologies, I was so tired I had Bobble Head Syndrome. Forgot to add the link. These are just two examples (just bits) of how I made and how anyone can make one. All that is required is that there is two strips of conducting material (plumbers strap, bare wire, aluminum bars or tubing) at the bottom of the door, the when pressed together they close the trigger circuit. Just like in the video, in my first comment #12.

As to the MHCOZY. No you don't have get a new one. I just want to customise the Diagram so that it best reflects the components you already have or want to use. I will have them available/posted by 8 PM today.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
My apologies, I was so tired I had Bobble Head Syndrome. Forgot to add the link. These are just two examples (just bits) of how I made and how anyone can make one. All that is required is that there is two strips of conducting material (plumbers strap, bare wire, aluminum bars or tubing) at the bottom of the door, the when pressed together they close the trigger circuit. Just like in the video, in my first comment #12.

As to the MHCOZY. No you don't have get a new one. I just want to customise the Diagram so that it best reflects the components you already have or want to use. I will have them available/posted by 8 PM today.
Well I totally missed my own deadline. My apologies once again. Hope these make up for that.

I'm just gonna drop these here and let you go over them. If you can't look at them and figure it out them I have failed. LOL

Go to this Link. It is to a folder named "Mobile785". It is restricted so when you go to the link I can give you access and comment authorization. So if you have any specific questions , like what is this doohickey next to the thingamajig, you can do it directly on the Diagrams.

My prefered. Diagram

Easier to wire. Diagram

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Well I totally missed my own deadline. My apologies once again. Hope these make up for that.

I'm just gonna drop these here and let you go over them. If you can't look at them and figure it out them I have failed. LOL

Go to this Link. It is to a folder named "Mobile785". It is restricted so when you go to the link I can give you access and comment authorization. So if you have any specific questions , like what is this doohickey next to the thingamajig, you can do it directly on the Diagrams.

My prefered. Diagram

Easier to wire. Diagram
No need to appologize, you're doing me a solid so I understand its on your time and availibility. I just requested access to the files.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The given link asks for a google login.
Please upload the schematics/drawings using the Attach Files button.

Bertus

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
You are all set to view and comment. Ty
These are great. I'm going with your preferred method. I have almost all the parts needed except the TPDT and a momentary switch to use for a reset. I hope to work on this next week sometime. Will post results and pics when done.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
These are great. I'm going with your preferred method. I have almost all the parts needed except the TPDT and a momentary switch to use for a reset. I hope to work on this next week sometime. Will post results and pics when done.
Thank You. Once you have chosen your relay, post the link here or in google drive (in the diagram as a comment) and I will update the diagram with the actual (at least closest) relay and socket pinout.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Hello,

The given link asks for a google login.
Please upload the schematics/drawings using the Attach Files button.

Bertus
Yes the the link is restricted. It has personal information. If anyone want to access all they have to do is ask.

Also I am not posting diagrams here. I might post images or text information, but the diagrams no. The diagrams are on google drive so that they can be interactive. So if a person has any specific questions , like what is this doohickey next to the thingamajig, they can do it directly on the Diagrams. This way, they don't have to download the diagram, figure out how to draw on it and then repost. Taking up space in the thread.

Not to mention that if a mistake is made in the diagram , it cannot be revised. People my try to follow it and not know why it doesn't work. Best to be link to the diagram and any updates. If posted directly, any revisions will have to be repost and reposted and reposted. Taking up needless space in the thread.

I have other reasons to, but these should suffice.

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Decided to do a Demo video. Wire colors don't all match but this video is just to show it working. I do not plan on keeping this setup so I just use whatever bits of wire I have on hand.

How is your project going?

Sorry, I've been caught up with work and trying to complete this coop the past week. I run the wiring for the motor and safety sensor to the coop and have all the parts ordered. I'm hoping by Weds to have this done.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Sorry, I've been caught up with work and trying to complete this coop the past week. I run the wiring for the motor and safety sensor to the coop and have all the parts ordered. I'm hoping by Weds to have this done.
NP I have a busy work schedule myself. Did you get to watch the video?

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
I did watch the video. I did get a chance to wire it all up today using the diagram called Page 8 and while it did fully open and fully close it would not bounce back to open if i obstructed the door while it was closing. I double and triple checked all my wiring and checked again for continuity with the metal plates I'm using to trigger the reversing action and still no luck. Possible bad relay?

Last edited:

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I did watch the video. I did get a chance to wire it all up today using the diagram called Page 8 and while it did fully open and fully close it would not bounce back to open if i obstructed the door while it was closing. I double and triple checked all my wiring and checked again for continuity with the metal plates I'm using to trigger the reversing action and still no luck. Possible bad relay?

1. Make sure that the channel that is your designated Down/Close relay/channel, is the one that is putting out Positive and that the actuator is moving in the direction to close the door. The circuit ONLY works in the Closing state. Positive power to the relay is supplied to the relay ONLY in the closing state, while the negative is a switched connection Via the Pressure switch or Reset switch.. When in the Open state negative is going to the relay from both sides of the coil. So it does nothing. That might be why it is not working.

If all is wired correctly, ...
a. Switch wires 24 and 25 to the actuator, make sure it is going in the correct direction and retest.
or
b. Switch wires 11 and 12, make sure it is going in the correct direction and retest.

2. Make sure the relay is actually 12VDC. Not That you ordered the wrong relay but they may have sent you the wrong relay.

Without the controller connected.
Connect Positive to wire 11 and Negative to wire 12.
3.Test the relay. Apply 12v to the coil with or without the motor (linear actuator). If the contacts inside move back and forth then you are off to a good start.
4. Test each pole. This is easy to do if you already have the relay wired, per the diagram. If the actuator reverses direction, when power is applied to the relay coil, then at least those two poles are in working order.

Try these things first and get back to me. Also if you feel like it, please post a picture/video of the wiring. Here or on google drive. I will grant you write privileges to the folder.