Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic chicken door

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I did watch the video. I did get a chance to wire it all up today using the diagram called Page 8 and while it did fully open and fully close it would not bounce back to open if i obstructed the door while it was closing. I double and triple checked all my wiring and checked again for continuity with the metal plates I'm using to trigger the reversing action and still no luck. Possible bad relay?
Just posted as video of how the safety feature will not reverse if the actuator is going the right way but wired backwards. One thing that I realised that you could do, is have it go UP/Open and try and trigger it. You will see me trigger it going up, the relay reverses and goes down (incorrect). If it is going up and it actually triggers then switch the Linear Actuator wires. You will see me reveres the wires and it functions as it should. It should not trigger going Up/Open, only Down/Close.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I did watch the video. I did get a chance to wire it all up today using the diagram called Page 8 and while it did fully open and fully close it would not bounce back to open if i obstructed the door while it was closing. I double and triple checked all my wiring and checked again for continuity with the metal plates I'm using to trigger the reversing action and still no luck. Possible bad relay?
Posted 2 more diagrams. I changed to colors to reflect the current as it should be in the Open and Close States. Red wires positive and Black wires Negative. Showing why It should only work in the Close State.

Page-13 Closing
and
Page-14 Opening

Page-8 Original

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
1. Make sure that the channel that is your designated Down/Close relay/channel, is the one that is putting out Positive and that the actuator is moving in the direction to close the door. The circuit ONLY works in the Closing state. Positive power to the relay is supplied to the relay ONLY in the closing state, while the negative is a switched connection Via the Pressure switch or Reset switch.. When in the Open state negative is going to the relay from both sides of the coil. So it does nothing. That might be why it is not working.

If all is wired correctly, ...
a. Switch wires 24 and 25 to the actuator, make sure it is going in the correct direction and retest.
or
b. Switch wires 11 and 12, make sure it is going in the correct direction and retest.

2. Make sure the relay is actually 12VDC. Not That you ordered the wrong relay but they may have sent you the wrong relay.

Without the controller connected.
Connect Positive to wire 11 and Negative to wire 12.
3.Test the relay. Apply 12v to the coil with or without the motor (linear actuator). If the contacts inside move back and forth then you are off to a good start.
4. Test each pole. This is easy to do if you already have the relay wired, per the diagram. If the actuator reverses direction, when power is applied to the relay coil, then at least those two poles are in working order.

Try these things first and get back to me. Also if you feel like it, please post a picture/video of the wiring. Here or on google drive. I will grant you write privileges to the folder.

Found the issue... I was solely focus on the wiring between the relay side of the MHCozy and the 3PDT that I completely ignored the Pos and Neg were reversed on the power side of the MHCozy. Once I reversed those so it works as it should. Thanks again for all your help, you've been a blessing.

Jimmy

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
I will have to get more pics the next time I clean out the coop... I wasn't about to climb in there today so these are the best pics I could get without going in...

After seeing Mouthpear's plans on building a pressure sensor I went with what I had on hand and added a thin piece of wood the the inside of the door and used a strip of Hardware Cloth stapled to it and then a piece of aluminum bar with zip ties as the pressure sensor
1.jpg

Obviously when the bar touches the hardware cloth it completes the circuit and reverses the door.
2.jpg

Here's the linear actuator and on the left side of the door is the sensor side of a Zigbee Door/Window/Temp sensor, I wasn't smart enough the get the whole door with the magnet for that sensor. The door slides on some old Server Rails I had laying around.
4.jpg

Here's a pic that shows both side of the Zigbee Door/Window/Temp Sensor before adding the pressure plate.
15.jpg

And here's one after I added the Pressure sensor but before adding the chickens to their new home.
18.jpg

Next time I clean out the coop I'll climb in and get much better pictures.

This all connects into out Hubitat Elevation hub and allows us to monitor openings and closings as well as the internal temp on our phones. I have several custom rules setup within Hubitat to run and send us alerts if necessary.

Here is a screenshot of my "Chicks" dashboard in Hubitat that shows the door is Open, the current temp is 84.2 and the light is Off

Screenshot_20230511-165752.png

Last edited:

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
Found the issue... I was solely focus on the wiring between the relay side of the MHCozy and the 3PDT that I completely ignored the Pos and Neg were reversed on the power side of the MHCozy. Once I reversed those so it works as it should. Thanks again for all your help, you've been a blessing.

Jimmy
Thank You and You are very much welcome, glad to have helped.

As to the wiring
You mean,
wires 04 and 05 (Pos) were on the NC Terminals instead of the NO
and
wires 07 and 08 (Neg) were on the NO Terminals instead of the NC
?

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I will have to get more pics the next time I clean out the coop... I wasn't about to climb in there today so these are the best pics I could get without going in...

After seeing Mouthpear's plans on building a pressure sensor I went with what I had on hand and added a thin piece of wood the the inside of the door and used a strip of Hardware Cloth stapled to it and then a piece of aluminum bar with zip ties as the pressure sensor
View attachment 58996

Obviously when the bar touches the hardware cloth it completes the circuit and reverses the door.
View attachment 58998

Here's the linear actuator and on the left side of the door is the sensor side of a Zigbee Door/Window/Temp sensor, I wasn't smart enough the get the whole door with the magnet for that sensor. The door slides on some old Server Rails I had laying around.
View attachment 58999

Here's a pic that shows both side of the Zigbee Door/Window/Temp Sensor before adding the pressure plate.
View attachment 59000

And here's one after I added the Pressure sensor but before adding the chickens to their new home.
View attachment 59001

Next time I clean out the coop I'll climb in and get much better pictures.

This all connects into out Hubitat Elevation hub and allows us to monitor openings and closings as well as the internal temp on our phones. I have several custom rules setup within Hubitat to run and send us alerts if necessary.

Here is a screenshot of my "Chicks" dashboard in Hubitat that shows the door is Open, the current temp is 84.2 and the light is Off

View attachment 59002
First off, I absolutely LOVE the Color. Looks like cotton candy or sherbert.

Also like the use of the hardware cloth. Great use of mariels on hand or that are probably already planned on having. If you don't mind I would like to add the image and use as an example the Pressure Switch folder in in my google drive. With Link and Credit of course. If you have the slightest reservation I would Understand. If no response the I will NOT.

The coop setup is very nice as well. Even tho it looks fairly easy to clean, I would have made the roosting bars from closet wood hanger dowel. Made so the dowel creates a hinge. Making it easier to do maintenance on the door if need be. Can provide renderings if you are interested. The video below is a visualization of a single tier, fold up roosting bar. Made a while back to show on another forum. Can be easily done as a two tier.

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Thank You and You are very much welcome, glad to have helped.

As to the wiring
You mean,
wires 04 and 05 (Pos) were on the NC Terminals instead of the NO
and
wires 07 and 08 (Neg) were on the NO Terminals instead of the NC
?

Wires 06 and 09. When just the reversing wasn't working I figured my mistake or broken wire/loose connection had to be elsewhere and never bothered to check the polarity of the master power supply. I then took your advice and switched 24 and 25 still didn't work, so I put them back and even though I know it's basically doing the same thing I switched 11 and 12 and it still didn't work. That's when I went back over everything and noticed that wires 06 and 09 needed switching.

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
First off, I absolutely LOVE the Color. Looks like cotton candy or sherbert.

Also like the use of the hardware cloth. Great use of mariels on hand or that are probably already planned on having. If you don't mind I would like to add the image and use as an example the Pressure Switch folder in in my google drive. With Link and Credit of course. If you have the slightest reservation I would Understand. If no response the I will NOT.

The coop setup is very nice as well. Even tho it looks fairly easy to clean, I would have made the roosting bars from closet wood hanger dowel. Made so the dowel creates a hinge. Making it easier to do maintenance on the door if need be. Can provide renderings if you are interested. The video below is a visualization of a single tier, fold up roosting bar. Made a while back to show on another forum. Can be easily done as a two tier.

The wife wanted to use pink as the accent color and well you know the old adage "Happy Spouse, Happy House" lol. Also If I'm being honest, I wasn't sure at first of the pink but once she started painting I saw how nice it looked and it grew on me pretty quick.

Yes, you can certainly add the images to your Google Drive, I'd be honored. I will upload more pictures when we do a clean out and I can climb in without the worry of getting chicken poo all over me.

We were thinking of doing the fold up roost but ended up going with a fixed mount, the roosting bars however are removable. Those pink bars will pop right out for easy cleaning. I'm betting the first time I run into an issue where they get in the way and frustrate me I'll put them on a hinge, hahaha.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
The wife wanted to use pink as the accent color and well you know the old adage "Happy Spouse, Happy House" lol. Also If I'm being honest, I wasn't sure at first of the pink but once she started painting I saw how nice it looked and it grew on me pretty quick.

Yes, you can certainly add the images to your Google Drive, I'd be honored. I will upload more pictures when we do a clean out and I can climb in without the worry of getting chicken poo all over me.

We were thinking of doing the fold up roost but ended up going with a fixed mount, the roosting bars however are removable. Those pink bars will pop right out for easy cleaning. I'm betting the first time I run into an issue where they get in the way and frustrate me I'll put them on a hinge, hahaha.
Actually I think the ""Happy Spouse, Happy House" is "Happy Wife, Happy Life". LOL. In general, that privilege, is reserved for the women. LOL. although I do agree it should be "Happy Spouse, Happy House".

Also while switching 11 and 12 is Kinda the same, but there is a big difference and why it would make a change. You can see the difference in pages 13 and 14.

Scenario A: IF CH2 is the Down/Close channel, and 11 & 12 are reversed, then it will NOT trigger at all. (Page-14)
Scenario B: IF CH2 is the Down/Close channel, if the Actuator wires are reversed, it will NOT trigger on the way down, but it WILL trigger on the way up. (Page-13)

But that's neither here nor there now. All that matters is that you have it up and running. NICE!

Do you have a YouTube channel you will be posting this on? I would like to follow.

I took the time to Redesign (from memory) a roost I built for a friend of a friend. Don't mind the quality of the rendered video. My PC doesn't do a good job with video. Can be scaled down for smaller coops. JFYI

Last You may want to rotate the 2x4s. and round the corners a bit. It is more natural for the birds. In the wild they roost on branches that they can get a grip on. This Pinterest image shows this. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Actually I think the ""Happy Spouse, Happy House" is "Happy Wife, Happy Life". LOL. In general, that privilege, is reserved for the women. LOL. although I do agree it should be "Happy Spouse, Happy House".

Also while switching 11 and 12 is Kinda the same, but there is a big difference and why it would make a change. You can see the difference in pages 13 and 14.

Scenario A: IF CH2 is the Down/Close channel, and 11 & 12 are reversed, then it will NOT trigger at all. (Page-14)
Scenario B: IF CH2 is the Down/Close channel, if the Actuator wires are reversed, it will NOT trigger on the way down, but it WILL trigger on the way up. (Page-13)

But that's neither here nor there now. All that matters is that you have it up and running. NICE!

Do you have a YouTube channel you will be posting this on? I would like to follow.

I took the time to Redesign (from memory) a roost I built for a friend of a friend. Don't mind the quality of the rendered video. My PC doesn't do a good job with video. Can be scaled down for smaller coops. JFYI

Last You may want to rotate the 2x4s. and round the corners a bit. It is more natural for the birds. In the wild they roost on branches that they can get a grip on. This Pinterest image shows this. Just food for thought.

I do not have a Youtube channel. I've thought so many times of starting one but never follow through.

Thanks for the info of the roosts.

Jimmy

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I do not have a Youtube channel. I've thought so many times of starting one but never follow through.

Thanks for the info of the roosts.

Jimmy
Yeah I have a channel just so I can post tidbit videos to illustrate ideas or examples when people need help. Just like I have been doing here.

Now I am just posting this video. I woke Saturday morning May 13, 2023 and said to myself, I really need to make an actual door to show people. All those other videos have that test board, with all that clutter. People might shy away from doing this if they see all that.

So two hours later, it was done. TWO DAYS later I finally got the video made. GEEZ. All I need now is to paint it. I was wondering if you have the code or color name you used, when you purchased the paint from the store.

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
Yeah I have a channel just so I can post tidbit videos to illustrate ideas or examples when people need help. Just like I have been doing here.

Now I am just posting this video. I woke Saturday morning May 13, 2023 and said to myself, I really need to make an actual door to show people. All those other videos have that test board, with all that clutter. People might shy away from doing this if they see all that.

So two hours later, it was done. TWO DAYS later I finally got the video made. GEEZ. All I need now is to paint it. I was wondering if you have the code or color name you used, when you purchased the paint from the store.

Here is the sticker that Home Depot put on the bucket. If you have a Home Depot near you they should be able to reproduce it for you.

paint.jpg

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
I hare to bother but can you please check that paint code? Here at the depot and the paint they mixed looks WAY TOO LIGHT. The guys are useless.

I wonder if that's why this was in the Opps paint section for wrongly mixed paint. I can take a sample to the store and see if they can get a new paint code.

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I wonder if that's why this was in the Opps paint section for wrongly mixed paint. I can take a sample to the store and see if they can get a new paint code.
Would you please. It would be a great help. TY

Mouthpear

Jul 20, 2020
I forgot to mention that while there I went through the color swatches and found a very close almost perfect match.

View attachment 59254
I SAW THAT ONE! LOL. Haha I almost got that one. But with all the others side by side, comparing them against a image on a phone, it was givin a headache.

Thank you for going above and beyond.

Just made another door. Will be painting soon.

Mobile785

Mar 6, 2023
I SAW THAT ONE! LOL. Haha I almost got that one. But with all the others side by side, comparing them against a image on a phone, it was givin a headache.

Thank you for going above and beyond.

Just made another door. Will be painting soon.
It was the least I could do considering all the assistance you gave with the schematics and part recommendations.