Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic current/voltage regulator for LEDs

jriofrio

Mar 18, 2018
Hello, I am looking for a circuit design, a diy, for LEDs. Non in particular one.
The circuit should adjust the voltage itself if one or more LEDs dies in a series circuit, also.
In a different Circuit, it should adjust the current automatically if one or more LEDs dies in a parallel circuit.
I'm not building anything at the moment, I would like to understand most of all how the circuits will work.
I don't know if it's possible to regulate the voltage and current in the same circuit when there's a combination of LEDs connected in series and parallel in a design.
Anyway, I just would like to educate myself before trying to build anything.
Thank you before hand for any help to my inquiry.
Good day.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The circuit should adjust the voltage itself if one or more LEDs dies in a series circuit,
What if the LED fails open-circuit?
it should adjust the current automatically if one or more LEDs dies in a parallel circuit.
What happens if an LED fails short-circuit?

The plain old LM317 can be configured as a constant current regulator (see the datasheet) as well as a constant voltage regulator. You can wire them in series to get constant voltage AND constant current.

Then there will be a plethora of dedicated devices to achieve the same result - search the datasheet libraries using the appropriate search words.

jriofrio

Mar 18, 2018
Hello, thank you very much for your comments. I will check out the lm317 datasheet. For what I know the lm317 is a linear regulator, but simple to implement. Which IC will be good to look at if I want to implement a switch mode psu?
Also you mentioned that there's a plethora of devices that can accomplish what I am asking. Could you point out some of them please. I would like to look at them study them and learn from their design.
Do you have any favorite designs (on paper or already built) that you can recommend?
Last question. Where are those datasheets repositories that I can take a look at?
I appreciate your help and comment's.
Best regards....

danadak

Feb 19, 2021

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I appreciate your help and comment's.
Best regards....

you didnt answer the Q's you were asked ......

"

"What happens if an LED fails open-circuit?"" .... nothing is going to work anyway

"What happens if an LED fails short-circuit?" ... voltage adj may help

But either way you need to be able to identify which has occurred

Dave

jriofrio

Mar 18, 2018
you didnt answer the Q's you were asked ......

"

"What happens if an LED fails open-circuit?"" .... nothing is going to work anyway

"What happens if an LED fails short-circuit?" ... voltage adj may help

But either way you need to be able to identify which has occurred

Dave
well, i haven't thought what to do at that point. I just have a basic understanding of electronics.
Reason for which i'm looking for info that i could read and learn more. I'm just a hobby enthusiast that like to do rojects around the house to make life a little easier.
I appreciate any guidence and help in this forum.
thank you

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
It is possible to design a circuit that adjusts the voltage and current in a combination of series and parallel connections of LEDs. However, achieving this level of complexity would require a more advanced circuit design and potentially some specialized components. Here are a few different approaches you could consider:
  1. 1. Series circuit with voltage regulation: In a series circuit, the voltage is shared among the components in the circuit. If one or more LEDs fail, the remaining LEDs will continue to receive the same voltage as before, which could lead to excess current and potentially cause the remaining LEDs to fail. To prevent this, you can use a voltage regulator to maintain a constant voltage across the circuit, even if one or more LEDs fail.

2. 2. Parallel circuit with current regulation: In a parallel circuit, the current is shared among the components in the circuit. If one or more LEDs fail, the remaining LEDs will continue to receive the same current as before, which could lead to excess voltage and potentially cause the remaining LEDs to fail. To prevent this, you can use a current regulator to maintain a constant current through the circuit, even if one or more LEDs fail.

3. 3. Combination circuit with voltage and current regulation: If you want to combine series and parallel connections of LEDs in a single circuit, you can use both a voltage regulator and a current regulator to maintain a constant voltage and current, respectively, across the circuit. This approach would allow you to adjust the voltage and current independently and ensure that the circuit remains stable and functional, even if one or more LEDs fail.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

jriofrio

Mar 18, 2018
H
It is possible to design a circuit that adjusts the voltage and current in a combination of series and parallel connections of LEDs. However, achieving this level of complexity would require a more advanced circuit design and potentially some specialized components. Here are a few different approaches you could consider:
  1. 1. Series circuit with voltage regulation: In a series circuit, the voltage is shared among the components in the circuit. If one or more LEDs fail, the remaining LEDs will continue to receive the same voltage as before, which could lead to excess current and potentially cause the remaining LEDs to fail. To prevent this, you can use a voltage regulator to maintain a constant voltage across the circuit, even if one or more LEDs fail.

2. 2. Parallel circuit with current regulation: In a parallel circuit, the current is shared among the components in the circuit. If one or more LEDs fail, the remaining LEDs will continue to receive the same current as before, which could lead to excess voltage and potentially cause the remaining LEDs to fail. To prevent this, you can use a current regulator to maintain a constant current through the circuit, even if one or more LEDs fail.

3. 3. Combination circuit with voltage and current regulation: If you want to combine series and parallel connections of LEDs in a single circuit, you can use both a voltage regulator and a current regulator to maintain a constant voltage and current, respectively, across the circuit. This approach would allow you to adjust the voltage and current independently and ensure that the circuit remains stable and functional, even if one or more LEDs fail.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hello, thank you very much for your comments, I appreciate it very much.
Hope I'm not asking too much for the following: could you provide a circuit design of the 3 different instances?
For series, parallel and the combo series/parallel.
I would like to studie them and understand how they work. I'm sure it will come up different requirements or necesities that might be needed to modify the designs, and if I understand them, I will be able to modify them.
I thank you again for taking the time replying to my post.
Happy holidays and have a great New Year.