Maker Pro
Maker Pro

automatic power off problem in DMM

hiii

Mar 24, 2016
hello everyone , i've got a new digital multimeter , but one problem , is that , when i turn it on , it displays something for just a fraction of second then it turns itself off .. so i'm asking if there's something i can do to it so it can get a normal diplay.20160324_100219[1].jpg
thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

hiii

Mar 24, 2016
no , i've already changed it , still the same problem , i even try to dry it in case of humidity problem , but still the same problem

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Well, you said it's new. Does it have a return policy? Sounds like a repair problem to me.

hiii

Mar 24, 2016
new in term of use (didnt really use it since i bought it like 6 months ago )

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
My first choice would be to try to return it, or check into factory warranty period.
If you're just stuck with a meter that doesn't work and no options for returning it under warranty, your other options require you to have some troubleshooting/repair skill.
I hesitate to offer advice on this because if you have no experience with this, you're just going to get yourself into trouble and will make your meter become unrepairable junk.
Try to get it repaired under warranty if you can.
If you have no options, and want to attempt to find the problem, you'll have to open the meter housing to get at the electronics.
You won't be able to repair the electronic components if that's the problem. Parts will be surface mount and mostly unmarked.
The only reason I suggest this is so that you can check the mechanical contacts in case that's the problem.
Cheap DMM's have a really cheap spring metal contactor that moves with the front dial to select a meter function.
The push-buttons will be cheap carbon pads to contact the trace on the circuit board.
If you open the housing, use EXTREME CAUTION, as all the spring stuff and flexible plastics will fall out all over the place and you'll have a hard time fitting everything back together.
You said you were worried about moisture. What I'm suggesting is so you can check the ON/OFF POWER push-button contactor, and that sweep arm connected to the knob.
I'd use isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swap to make sure all the electrical contacts are clean, moisture and corrosion free.
You may not want to bother with this at all. If your POWER button contact is clean and your function selector contactor is clean; you probably have a component failure that you won't be able to fix.
Sorry, but that's what I'd do. Return it, get factory warranty to fix it, and only open the housing if you have no choice but to discard it because it doesn't work, and want to open it up as a last resort.