Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Automatic transmission component

Planetyuyu

Feb 28, 2022
hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and with great expectations of finding an answer and helping other members to solve and expose new ideas.
Recently the automatic transmission of my car, a Daihatsu Sirion (Subaru Justy in other countries), crashed, one of the components that were damaged is a tiny electronic part that the mechanics haven't been able to identify the component is part of internal solenoid harness.
componente_1.png
componente_2.png
apparently it is a simple component, some say it's a temperature sensor, but nobody knows for sure what it's.
I'll be very grateful if someone can tell me the name of this component and where I can buy it.
Thanks in advance for your help!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If it only has one wire going into it then it's 'nothing' i.e. a simple plastic cover for an unused wire.

Is there anything 'exposed' that resembles a contact of any kind? We can only side the 'side' of the part.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I see 2 cables actually and then there is the mounting with a metal ring which could be a conductor secured to that as well.
Apart from that, it is, just a black box, innards unknown.
Way to identify would be to get a hold of the vehicle wiring which may resolve the mystery.
Only way the mechanics would have been able to say it was defective(if they have no idea what it is) is to go by error codes from the main computer board or by manufacturers voltage readings.
The way things work these days sadly, probably cost rather high as well for what it is.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I see 2 cables actually
Looks like a single wire with a trace colour to me...... however, if it is two wires then it's very likely a hall effect sensor and potentially a 'neutral detect' device. It's easily tested using a magnet.

The workshop manual should have a wiring diagram that reveals all.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I don't see how the thing can have any function unless it has two terminals, the metal ring possibly being one of them.
With an Ohmmeter, check for a finite resistance between the metal ring and the relevant pin(s) in the plug at the opposite end of the cable. That might give us a clue.
Confirm whether there are two conductors or just one in the cable going to the unknown thing.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Was there anything attached to or passed through the ring (Other than a fixing screw)?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The thing might be an inductive sensor. The notch in the end of the thing presumably has a purpose: perhaps to accommodate a toothed ferromagnetic disc or rotating magnet for speed sensing?