Maker Pro
Maker Pro

automotive project - hvac controls

marko82

Feb 10, 2013
Hi All:

Beginner here with an automotive electrical project that I need a little help on, so I thought I'd seek out some expert advice.

I am trying to mate a set of OEM Nissan HVAC controls to a Vintage Air system on my car, and I have everything working except the signal to engage the compressor. I have found a voltage source on the circuit board that is hot when the compressor switch on the control face is activated, but it only reads 0.6 volts when hot, which is just barely enough to light up an LED. It's not enough to trip the 12VDC relay I currently have to send power (10-15 amps) to the compressor clutch.

So I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a relay that will trigger on that small signal and be able to route the power to the compressor clutch, or, failing that, a relay that can trigger on the small signal and in turn trigger the existing relay.

I appreciate any advice thanks!

marko82

Feb 10, 2013
Okay, looking at it from a different angle -- since it will light an LED, is there a light sensor or photoelectric switch I could use to trip the 12V relay when the LED turns on?