Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Axial Resistor Blew??

overdrive

Sep 12, 2012
Hi Everyone, I am trying to replace an axial resistor, but the new one I got just blew.
The colors on them are: Orange, Orange, Silver, Gold.
I'm pretty sure I got the right one, but when I put it in and put power to it, it blew.
The picture shows the old one bottom and the new one top. The older one is a little bigger than the new one, but has the colors and everything, is that the right one? I put it in exactly the same way as the the other one. Any ideas good people?

Edit: The resistor is in a Dynex flatscreen and looked burnt on one side. In the picture you can kind of see it. That's why I am trying to replace it so the tv works again.

Attachments

• Resistors.jpg
    Resistors.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
They are different Wattage ratings, the one on the bottom is much higher rated, possibly a 1, 2 or 3 Watt while the smaller one is a 1/4, 1/2 or 1 Watt... I can only give estimates of the Wattage since there is no frame of size in your picture...

overdrive

Sep 12, 2012
Here is a photo of the two resistors next to a ruler. How can I tell the wattage of the old one? The new one is 1/2 watt, the blue one on the ruler.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 281

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
There is no way to physically tell but the general rule is size. The bigger the resistor, the higher the watt rating (USUALLY). Anything above about 2W will probably be a ceramic block with the information printed on it.

If in doubt, always use a higher watt rating than you need otherwise you risk frying the thing - possibly even starting a fire.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The original appears to be a 1 Watt, but as Raven said it's always safe to over rate so pick up a 2 Watt one and be safe...

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd be less interested in the blown resistor, than what else in the circuit caused
it to blow in the first place. If you don't trace the circuit and find the problem, you're
going to blow every resistor you put in there.

overdrive

Sep 12, 2012
Thank you all for the support and quick replies! I went ahead and ordered a 2watt resistor and also ordered a whole new board. I'm going to try the 2 watt first. And also I was thinking the same thing what you said, shrtmd, that it could be something else that blew the resistor. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again!

overdrive

Sep 12, 2012
Ok, so I got the new 2 watt resistor, but it blew as well. Go figure. I noticed this rectifier next to it and its leads where blown as well. I was trying to find one, but only thing I found was it's a TO220-3L with numbers AUK BP90501 STK0795. Any advice?? I think I'll just put the new board I got for it inside instead. Ha
I've attached pictures of the rectifier and where it was on the board.

Edit: I don't believe the resistor actually blew, but when I plugged the tv in, it sparked. It was the rectifier that melted its leads or it was already shorted. The picture showing it on the board, the left one was the one that melted.

Attachments

• rectifier1.jpg
    rectifier1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 154
  • rectifier2.jpg
    rectifier2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited: