Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ball Magazine Stop Correctly

endoramax

Jul 9, 2021
Hi Everyone,

We are working on making a tennis ball launcher (DIY). We have already designed ball magazine like circle plate with 5 or 6 holes and plate is rotating and one hole match to other hole ball goes through to motors tunnel and launch it.

I attached an image of our desing. I would like to know that when to turn off the machine magazine stopped without a matching hole. How can we control when turning off the machine position of the magazine?

ball_magazine.jpg
a4f9d803-65d8-4b5a-8ff4-33fe6ec8e23b.jpg

Thank you.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

You could place 5 magnets in the disk (with the 5 holes) and a hall sensor to detect the position.
The hall sensor signal could be used to control the "hold" signal.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Or a reed contact instead of a hall sensor. Probably easier to handle.
Or you could use an LED on one side on the rotating disk and an LDR on the other side. Drill holes in the disk to detect the position of the disk.
Or you could provide nothces in the disk an a mechanical switch that is actuated by the notches to ensure the disk stops only when not over a matching hole.
There are (almost) endless possibilities. It depends a lot on your electronics knowledge and the expected reliability. LEDs or hall sensors are longer lasting than mechanical solutions like reed contacts or switches.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'd imagine the stop position would need to take the overrun at shutdown of power into account.
All depends on the mechanics as a whole.

endoramax

Jul 9, 2021
Thank you for your help. I think that hall effect sensor would be great for me.