Hello H H,
I am inserting an image of the good motor motor I have (the one I am sending to you is in pieces and I need to reassemble). Also I have the mounting bracket which I will send along to you for this if even if the motor types are different. Let me know if it is the same looking motor because I am not sure I have a good plastic pulley for it
It is 03:12am here in Cape Town and I am such an imbecilic idiot I don't deserve a motor. Two days ago, I did the impossible and made new brushes for my motor and after also discovering and repairing one of the rotor coils which was open circuit and actually got it to work although I couldn't check if the speed was OK.
For the past two days, I battled to get the control panel to work and I can't tell you how many times I took the top stainless plate off and put it back on as one cannot check its correct operation without assembling it fully.
The problem was 3 broken switches and little red rods inside which are activated by pressure on the various controls corresponding with the segments on the stainless steel slitted plate.
Anyway, I managed to repair this as well late yesterday evening.
I then fitted the motor in its outer housing and the boomerang-shaped mounting to the housing.
I mounted the motor, fitted the belt , the sub-platter and the platter and pressed "Start" and the platter started turning.
I went to collect its cartridge, a strobe disc and a record in another room.
After a minute or so later, I returned to the 4002 and found smoke pouring out of the motor and from the top left corner of its pcb.
I instantly removed the mains plug but the damage to the motor is severe.
The rotor coils are all open circuit, three tinned wires with 3 disc like varistors? had desoldered themselves, I think the tachometer coils are also damaged and there's melted solder flakes everywhere.
I guess I screwed up from tiredness as I have been working on the 4002 practically 24hrs at a stretch for days already.
The cause of this tragedy is that I plugged the motor into the P2 socket in error - really, really stupid after all this work.
I think there's not too much damage on the main circuit board as the burned area is only about 1cm square.
Your motor appears to be the same as mine and I have a good pulley. The mounting bracket is no problem as I can easily make one. There is no need to re-assemble the motor as I now know them almost blindfolded.
I suppose I can rewind the coils on the rotor but the big conundrum is those 3 'blobs' soldered to the thick, tinned wires around the rotor's commutator.
I have tried to measure them as diodes but the results don't add up. I've asked around the local forum and I've asked a knowledgeable friend with much electronic knowledge and they seem to agree these discs could be varistors of an unknown type.
I'm attaching 2 pics of the motor and will upload a third to show you how I made new brushes. All of it now gone up in smoke.
H H Scot/andre