Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic help - LM386 amp

Wimbley

Apr 23, 2011
I have an odd issue with an LM386 amp I just wired up. I'm using the reference schematic from the datasheet for a 200 gain amp (minus the 10k resistor). The input is quite low, so even with the pot turned to max, I can just barely make out the source audio through the noise. Yet if I touch a lead on the pot, the gain increases considerably. I'm new to this (shocker), but any help keeping the volume up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
show us a clear well lit photo or 2 of your constructionso it can be checked over for any possible errors :)

Dave

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
I've looked at the diagram in the datasheet. You say minus the 10k resistor yet you mention touching a pot. The only 10k resistor in that diagram is the input pot. If youre referring to the one at the output, thats a 10 OHM resistor.

Other than that - what are you trying to amplify with it? The LM386 is a power amplifier and not a signal amplifier (so it is meant to follow a signal amplifier).

Finally, make sure you havent missed any of the ground connections.

Wimbley

Apr 23, 2011
Sorry, I meant the 10 ohm resistor. I don't know how I had it hooked up the other day, but I put it together for a photo today and it's running well. I didn't realize it was a power amp, but as long as I don't blow the speaker, I think I can live with it.

Thanks for the help.