Maker Pro
Maker Pro

BASIC LED project - help/advice required

higgface

Mar 26, 2014
Hi there,
I’m working on something electronics based (very basic) at home and i’m a bit stuck because i know NOTHING about electronics. It's pretty much a nightlight for my daughter.

Basically I’m wanting to create a dark activated LED circuit - 12 LEDs in a grid with a light sensor and powered by a battery of some description.
The LEDs don’t need to be mega bright but the whole thing needs to be cheap as I’d be after making quite a few of them.

Moving forward - depending on how complicated it makes it - i may then need some sort of time-out after 20 mins to turn the LEDs off and save battery.
I also wondered if EL wire might be an option instead of the LEDs.

ANY help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Here is something I have just drawn up for you that might work. You can Choose your own suitable LEDs and comparator, and this does not have a timer at the moment and you will need to set the threshold for dark. For the best results choose a light sensor that has a similar spectral response as the human eye. But it's not that important. Current through each LED is 26mA but when you change them you might have to adjust the value of the 220R resistors.
Adam

Attachments

• NIGHT LIGHT.PNG
    NIGHT LIGHT.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 159

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Also, be sure to place the light sensor somewhere that can't "see" the LEDs.

If you don't, you risk the device turning on in darkness, then "seeing" the light from the LEDs and turning off, then turning back on because it's dark, before seeing the LEDs again... (You don't want a flashing night light -- probably)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yeah I did that in the early days. Now your going to laugh at this, My first dark operated switch power a standard mains lamp via a relay. The lamp and circuit were close by. Guess what happened? Yep light switched on and off a 50Hz, took me ages to work out what was wrong. Well that was 20 Years ago and am still making mistakes like not turning the power supply on and wondering why my circuits not working :)
Adam

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

There are two ways to drive the LEDs: directly, or using a boost converter.

A boost converter requires an inductor and generates a higher voltage than the battery voltage, so multiple LEDs can be connected in a string that adds up to more than the battery voltage. This can reduce the number of components and increase the efficiency of the circuit. A self-oscillating boost converter can be made quite simply. It can be turned off fairly easily by a phototransistor when there's light. It's good for between 2 and around 10 LEDs.

Directly powering the LEDs is better if you have a relatively high battery voltage. LEDs can be connected in series strings, with a current limiting resistor for each string. A transistor can be used to enable current to flow through the strings. Significant power can be wasted in the current limiting components.

Adam's design powers the LEDs directly, but uses transistors to limit the current in each string. This wastes significant power and I wouldn't recommend it for a battery-operated circuit.

I did a search for some existing designs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=battery+powered+LED+night+light+circuit&tbm=isch

Then I picked out a few designs that looked good.

Some of them use a nice little trick - a solar cell charges a small rechargeable battery during the day, and also acts as the darkness detector. I've flagged these designs as "rechargeable" in my summaries below.

Here are some interesting results I found:

http://www.electronicshub.org/auto-night-lamp-using-high-power-led/
A simple design that uses an LDR to detect the light level and two transistors to switch the LEDs. Designed to operate from a 12V source.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electronic-Night-Light/step3/null/
Very simple circuit using an oscillating boost converter, based on a "joule thief" design. The converter is turned OFF in daylight by a phototransistor. The boost converter can generate several times the battery voltage; this would be good if you want a single 1.5V battery to power several LEDs.

http://www.electronicshub.org/battery-powered-portable-light/
A moderately complicated design without nighttime detection (this could be added) using a boost converter and a string of 7 high-brightness LEDs. Intended to run from two CR2032 button cells. The schematic is poorly drawn and the design could be improved.

http://solar.smps.us/solar-lights-outdoor.html
This page includes a little schematic at the bottom that implements a tidy little rechargeable night light using a solar cell and a rechargeable battery. The LED is driven by a boost converter controlled by a Zetex ZXSC310, a 5-pin surface-mounted device that is perfect for this application. It operates from a supply voltage of 0.8~8.0V and delivers constant power to the LED string. Very tidy!

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/samschem.htm
Search for Brinkmann LED Light. There's a link to the schematic diagram. This is a nice simple self-oscillating boost converter. It doesn't have recharging or night detection but these could be added.

http://members.shaw.ca/NOVOTILL/SolarGardenLight/index.htm
Reverse-engineered schematics for four different commercially manufactured LED night lights (actually they're probably used as outdoor pathway lighting). All designs are rechargeable, and designs 1 and 2 use the solar cell to detect darkness. I recommend circuit 2.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-Oomph-to-the-Garden-Solar-Light/
Another two-transistor oscillating boost converter with rechargeable battery charged from a solar cell and the solar cell used as a dark detector. Some component changes would improve this circuit.

So there are quite a few approaches out there. None of those designs have a 20-minute turn-off feature, but it can be added. If the battery voltage is always 3V or higher, a CD4060 timer IC can be used to measure a 20 minute delay and turn off the LEDs when it expires. Accuracy will not be very good though.

I would definitely recommend the ZXSC310 to drive the LED. It even has a Shutdown input. It's available for less than USD 1.00 from Digikey and for 66p from Farnell in the UK. Alternatively, the two-transistor oscillating boost converter works well enough.

Perhaps you should have a think about what you want and give us some more details. Experiment with some LEDs to find out how many you need, what colour(s) you want, and how much current you want to run them at.

You should add your location to your profile. It can help when we recommend components.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I wouldn't say significant power 5mW extra versus just resistor. Resistor dissipates 165mW. But if you mean in general driving them directly wastes power then yeah I agree there are more efficient ways of doing this, but I kept it simple for the beginner. Just looking at your first circuit and if I compared the power using the same components I have the original circuit then they are about the same. The important difference about my circuit is it is constant current and pushes the same current through each branch independent of LED voltage drop. You want even brightness from an array of LEDs. Also boost regulators with battery powered equipment is not always a good idea. The user may want a longer warning that the light is about to fail because of battery life. If the unit is still only half as bright this still might be bright enough for the application. A few days less use might be better that a days warning of flat battery. OMO
Cheers
Adam

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Actually, unless the design required multiple LEDs, I would probably just get a single higher powered LED. If you're operating it comfortably below (or at a fraction of) it's maximum current you could probably get by with a series resistor and minimal (or no) heatsinking.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Actually, unless the design required multiple LEDs, I would probably just get a single higher powered LED. If you're operating it comfortably below (or at a fraction of) it's maximum current you could probably get by with a series resistor and minimal (or no) heatsinking.

Good idea Steve
Adam