Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic Soldering advice

JoeM

Sep 5, 2014
There seems to be widespread misunderstanding of the purpose of flux.

It is not to clean the metal. It is a barrier to prevent oxidisation when the joint is heated.

Flux does clean the oxidation formed by heating, it does not remove dirt, grease, and other debris, sorry for the confusion caused by not thinking about how it would be interpreted. It is much like stick welding, but not really, as stick welding flux creates a gas cloud around the joint, cutting off oxygen, which would contaminate the process.

Canobi

Jul 25, 2014
I mostly play with SMD which I generally solder by hand. I have 20 some years of practical soldering and assembly experience and flux is an absolute must. There are indeed many fluxes for different situations but some can be used a little more generically in a hobby. I like liquid No-Clean flux as it naturally gets drawn between the component terminals and the pads underneath, and works just as well for through hole too.

I didn't see it mentioned but admit I did skim a bit. Flux also helps to evenly spread the heat across the pad and terminal being soldered and also prevents solder spreading across other soldering points and pins.

Here's a proto I'm working on which hosts an 32 pin TQFP, SOT-23 and 0805, all soldered by hand:

Good soldering practice meduims are standered strip and proto board for through hole, and cheap as chips SMD practice boards for surface mount (found loads on ebay). Some of them come with a bunch of components and actually do something when fully assembled too.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I have used 63/37 tin/lead with flux core solder for most of my life and it worked extremely well, solidifying immediately. Recently I used up my 63/37 and began using some 60/40 flux-core "electronic" solder I had. It makes terrible joints unless I hold the joint still while it cools.

Hee, hee. It is important when soldering to "drip the solder from up high".

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I mostly play with SMD which I generally solder by hand.

When I've taught SMD soldering, I always start with really thick solder (3mm) and large tips on the soldering iron.

When you start soldering 0.5mm pitch or 0402 (and smaller), even your smallest tip and finest solder seem huge.

I've never found the need for extra flux in the stuff I've done.

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
Totally off topic, but this is interesting because, as I understand it, drug offences exist at both the state and federal level.

Whilst a state can remove its own laws, or decide to simply not enforce them, only the latter option exists for federal laws (assuming the decriminalization if at a state level).

How much acquiescence of federal agencies is required to achieve this?

If state police and state prosecutors are not referring cases to the judiciary, can federal police (FBI?) and federal prosecutors step into the vacuum?

I'm sure this is well known to our American cousins, but the practice of law varies from country to country and I'm curious.

As I understand it, (not a lawyer, yadda yadda) in the United States drugs offenses don't become a federal matter except in 3 cases. First, if there is any interstate travel while in possession of illegal drugs or if interstate commerce occurs. Second if a certain threshold of quantity is crossed (like a pickup truck load full or more). Last, if a state agency requests federal intervention. Otherwise, I believe the states are left to their own devices as regards drugs laws.

davidwent12

Jan 21, 2017
I'm waiting on some warmer states to legalize it. Why is it all the cold states want it and the warm states don't?
It's likely stores won't be able to open until late this year early '18.
Red tape.

cmdrcody

Jul 25, 2013
Ersin Multi core solder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best you can use.!!!!! Many years of experence !!!! P.S. keep tip tined !!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ersin Multi core solder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best you can use.!!!!! Many years of experence !!!! P.S. keep tip tined !!!

Can you smoke it?

Oh, damn. That message was back on topic!

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I never smoked rosin solder and I never ate brownies made from solder. I have not seen Mary Wana for many years but I smell it frequently in parking lots.
My favourite solder is also Ersin multi-core.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
My Weller soldering iron has controlled temperature so it does not incinerate the rosin in solder making smoke, it just heats the rosin making a pleasant smell. I wonder if a cheap soldering iron without temperature control will cause a fire?