Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Basic Stamp 2.

Maintenance Man

Jul 14, 2010
I have been involved with PLCs for over 11 years and enjoy programming them. Ihave found a BASIC Stamp 2 kit in which I would like to learn to program. The class I am taking had a section in the book that talked about the Basic stamp. The instructor thought we did not need to learn about this because it would not help us when fixing something ; but I feel it would not have been in the book if it was not important. I would like some feed back on this as to how important in the electronics field it is to learn basic stamp 2programing and beyond? I strongly bleive that if you learn something you can always apply it to something else you are learning. Thank you all for your help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Probably not very much at all.

However knowing how to use any micro-controller is useful (it doesn't have to be a basic stamp).

I've always steered clear of these devices because they seemed to me to be pretty expensive and not something that you'd ever embed in a real product.

Others may have a differing opinion :)

brian@1234

Aug 1, 2010
I'd recommend learning pic microcontrollers. They are much less expensive. I used to program bacic and java stamps but found them to be inferior to pics.

darkman1969

Jun 23, 2010
PIC+PDS is a good RAD system that works well for me. PIC are a good chip, i use them in most of my projects. I love PDS ,it lets me code rapidly in BASIC but still allows inline ASM if i need.

There is a mountain of info/tuts online for PIC Micros as well.