Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery charger not charging

carlosboyd

May 18, 2022
If you want to check the junction diodes in the rectifier.
Disconnect all the wires, especially the transformer

With the multimeter in diode test, you should get an open circuit, when the meter is connected across the diode in one direction and a forward voltage (0.4 - 0.7V) with the meter in the other direction.

You may have an open winding in the transformer
EBL 16340 rechargeable battery
I have an old 10 amp battery charger that has seen better days. I used it to top off a old battery for the tractor. It only puts out 10.5 volts? It has a switch for deep cycle or regular batteries. and one for 2, 10 or 50 amps.
This was with the leads only connected to the meter leads and with it connected to the battery. It did bring the battery voltage up about .25 volts.
Not sure what it means but the amp meter needle barely moved, yellow led on showing charging, green charge complete led never came on.
I thought these either worked or were dead. Never heard of a low voltage output. It is 12 volt only.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Those simple chargers rely on the battery as the 'smoothing capacitor' - they are basically a transformer and bridge rectifier whose output voltage (without the 'smoothing') is around 10V. Connect a WORKING battery (capacitor) and the voltage will rise to the 13.8-14V range to affect a charging process.

If the battery is dud (no capacitance) you get the 10V..........