Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Battery contact description

quelgeek

Jan 23, 2020
I have a ciruit board into which two AA cells are intended to be inserted in a spring-loaded carrier. The cells make contact with the board using a couple of "studs" that extend slightly beyond the edge of the board. What would you call a contact of this type if you were trying to google it? Here are top and bottom views:
upload_2020-11-11_9-51-31.png

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Those contacts look quite corroded.
I would also check the continuety of the contact to the PCB track.
It can well be that the corrosion attacked the tracks.

Bertus

quelgeek

Jan 23, 2020
Hello,

Those contacts look quite corroded.
I would also check the continuety of the contact to the PCB track.
It can well be that the corrosion attacked the tracks.

Bertus
You are correct Bertus. That board is a write-off. I am fabricating a replacement. Annoyingly the contact studs are the only thing I haven't been quickly able to source.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
There are many everyday objects you could use there, like a brass nut, copper nail or washer, sawed up pre-1982 (all copper) US penny or for that matter machine them out of any (conductive and solderable) bulk material. For that matter you could probably just use a stainless steel bolt and nut and solder plate the area but not attempting to solder the stainless, rather just mechanical clamping. It wouldn't be as conductive but for 2 x AA should be okay, I did this to make a DIY MP3 player charging cradle back in the day.

quelgeek

Jan 23, 2020
There are many everyday objects you could use there, like a brass nut, copper nail or washer, sawed up pre-1982 (all copper) US penny or for that matter machine them out of any (conductive and solderable) bulk material. For that matter you could probably just use a stainless steel bolt and nut and solder plate the area but not attempting to solder the stainless, rather just mechanical clamping. It wouldn't be as conductive but for 2 x AA should be okay, I did this to make a DIY MP3 player charging cradle back in the day.
Or a big ol' blob of solder... Or better still, plain gold-plated earing studs. But I was kinda hoping to preserve the manufactured look of the board, for purely aesthetic reasons.