Maker Pro
Maker Pro

battery powered heater

dayshaddow

Mar 20, 2015
Hi guys and girls
I have been been batting an idea around for a few years cant tell more than this but i do need some help.
so i need a battery to heat a copper coil and the build needs to be very simple and low cost.
so the power supply's are
1 AA battery
2 AA battery's
4 AA battery's
A 7.4 v NIMH 1800 mAh
11.1 v lipo 5000 mAh with a 60c continuous and 120 c burst (the target power supply but staring small at first)
I have a switch and the required fan and the AA battery's are not a worry but the lipo shorting and exploding must be avoided.I fly rc helicopters so i'm experienced with battery's soldering and modding existing parts or making my own
I'm fairly sure i need a resistor and a diode to prevent shorting the batterys so could you please tell me which ones i need and i will buy a book shortly like a beginners guide and learn properly

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi guys and girls
I have been been batting an idea around for a few years cant tell more than this but i do need some help.
so i need a battery to heat a copper coil and the build needs to be very simple and low cost.
so the power supply's are
1 AA battery
2 AA battery's
4 AA battery's
A 7.4 v NIMH 1800 mah
11.1 v lipo 5000 mah with a 60c continuous and 120 c burst (the target power supply but staring small at first)
I have a switch and the required fan and the AA battery's are not a worry but the lipo shorting and exploding must be avoided.I fly rc helicopters so i'm experienced with battery's soldiering and modding existing parts or making my own
I'm fairly shore i need a resister and a diode to prevent shorting the batterys so could you please tell me which ones i need and i will buy a book shortly like a beginners guide and learn properly
How hot does it need to be and how long does it need to stay hot?
Note that in order to warm up a copper coil, you simply need to put current through the wire. The more current that goes through, the warmer it will get... but put too much through and it will act like a fuse and will go open circuit ;)
An alternative solution is to use a high power resistor as a heating element.

Regardless of the method, you need to make sure you have enough heat, and enough battery capacity to run for the desired time.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Do you realize that at 60C the battery will be depleted in 1 minute?

Bob

dayshaddow

Mar 20, 2015
That's perfect,stored energy quickly converted into heat. so idea's on safely discharging the above without shorting and or causing a lipo fire.have to add 2200 60c lipo's to the list.Away of slowing the discharge would be a better idea as rapid discharges of lipos will damage the packs

dayshaddow

Mar 20, 2015
How hot does it need to be and how long does it need to stay hot?
Note that in order to warm up a copper coil, you simply need to put current through the wire. The more current that goes through, the warmer it will get... but put too much through and it will act like a fuse and will go open circuit ;)
An alternative solution is to use a high power resistor as a heating element.

Regardless of the method, you need to make sure you have enough heat, and enough battery capacity to run for the desired time.
the stored energy just needs to be converted into heat.can you advise on a controlled discharge that fairly quick but not to fast to damage the lipos

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
That's perfect,stored energy quickly converted into heat. so idea's on safely discharging the above without shorting and or causing a lipo fire.have to add 2200 60c lipo's to the list.Away of slowing the discharge would be a better idea as rapid discharges of lipos will damage the packs
the stored energy just needs to be converted into heat.can you advise on a controlled discharge that fairly quick but not to fast to damage the lipos
You need to please clarify for us exactly what you want... because so far it seems as though a high temperature output for 60-seconds is what you are after?

As far as the discharge rate is concerned, that will be directly controlled by the resistance of the heating element you plan to use.
This can be a metal sheet, coil, wire, or resistor. If the resistance is too low, the battery will attempt to discharge too quickly. If the resistance is too high, it will simply not get as hot, and the battery will take longer to drain.
I would suggest against pushing your battery this hard, but this is your project, so fly at 'er. But... and this is important, you should look into getting some kind of safety device or driver on the battery. This device should:
A) cut off power when the battery discharges to 'empty'
B) limit the total output current to no more than 60C.

I am sorry, but I can't suggest a protection device for you at this time, but would strongly suggest using one unless you plan to run your battery at a much safer level.

dayshaddow

Mar 20, 2015
Hi guys please just ignore this post i ran some experiments and answered my own question in just a few hours.great stuff and catch you later